+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Working abroad after getting my PR

susanna80

Nov 19, 2019
Hi! I'm wondering about the rules of working abroad and fullfilling the PR obligations. I know the time requirement for being in Canada, 2 years out of 5. I'm wondering if I can work freely for a non Canadian company back in my home country where I'm a citizen? Also do I need to pay taxes for that work in Canada as well? And would I need to inform the CIC even if I'm just going for say a year? I've been trying to find the information.
Thanks for any help....

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi! I'm wondering about the rules of working abroad and fullfilling the PR obligations. I know the time requirement for being in Canada, 2 years out of 5. I'm wondering if I can work freely for a non Canadian company back in my home country where I'm a citizen? Also do I need to pay taxes for that work in Canada as well? And would I need to inform the CIC even if I'm just going for say a year? I've been trying to find the information.
Thanks for any help....
Sure you can work in your home country it just won’t count for your RO. If you are not a resident for tax purposes no you don’t have to pay taxes. Some reasons you would be a resident for tax purposes would be if your spouse and children remain in Canada, you have significant ties to Canada like home, investments, business, etc. CRA can help you determine whether you are a resident or not for tax purposes. No you don’t have to inform anyone if you are working abroad unless you have lived in Canada long enough to qualify for health coverage. You are supposed to call the provincial health authority to advise that you are moving out of the country and you need to freeze the card so your number is not used fraudulently.

susanna80

Nov 19, 2019
Sure you can work in your home country it just won’t count for your RO. If you are not a resident for tax purposes no you don’t have to pay taxes. Some reasons you would be a resident for tax purposes would be if your spouse and children remain in Canada, you have significant ties to Canada like home, investments, business, etc. CRA can help you determine whether you are a resident or not for tax purposes. No you don’t have to inform anyone if you are working abroad unless you have lived in Canada long enough to qualify for health coverage. You are supposed to call the provincial health authority to advise that you are moving out of the country and you need to freeze the card so your number is not used fraudulently.
Thank you so much for all that information!! Very kind!