+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

worker vs temporary permit holder

raman13

Jul 14, 2017
Hello Guys, I need to apply for citizenship

I came as a student after that got work permit then PR

now the application form is asking for my status while I was on work permit

1) will it be Worker or temporary permit holder???

2) Does I need to mention my status only for eligibility period or ever since I entered to Canada

btbt

Feb 26, 2018
Which question are you trying to answer?

In general, keep in mind that the forms will be read by a human being, so as long as your answer is clear and unambiguous it'll be fine. So for the example you give, any of "worker", "temporary work permit", "temporary worker" (or similar) will do just fine.

btbt

Feb 26, 2018
The dates for the chart in 9B are the dates on which you gained (and lost) the status of student or temporary worker or visitor, even if the start date is before the start of your eligibility period.

The exact wording is:
  • Tell us the day, month and year (DD/MM/YY) you were granted each status
The period before the start of your eligibility won't matter for your physical presence, but by having the start date it'll permit IRCC to more easily cross-check their records.

raman13

Jul 14, 2017
okay, so should I mention everything ever since I got to Canada, Means I should mention my various status since last 7 years on the cit0002 form

it says during the eligibilty persiod did you have temporary resident or other status in canada before becoming PR?
if yes, please provide detail in chat below:

btbt

Feb 26, 2018
No.
You only have to mention the statuses you held during your eligibility period, but for those you need to give the actual start and end dates.

An example:
Let's assume you are calculating from today, so the end of your eligibility period is 22 March 2018. The start is 22 March 2013.
  • Say you were a student in 2010.
  • You became a temporary worker from 1 May 2011,
  • and you became a PR on 1 May 2014.

You would not mention that you were a student, because that predates your eligibility period. There were zero days between 22 March 2013 and 22 March 2018 in which you were a student.

You would mention you were a temporary worker, because you had that status during your eligibility period. The start date you would mention in the chart for question 9B is 1 May 2011, which is the actual start date of that status. The end date would be 1 May 2014, when you became a PR.

You don't need to mention your permanent resident status in 9B, as that only deals with temporary status (visitor, student, temporary worker).​

raman13

Jul 14, 2017
one last doubt, for example work permit for given for 2 years(1 may 2011 to 1 may 2013) but i got landing document 1 may 2012

Once got landed document my work permit status will automatically be expired even tho it was given for until 2013

so i should mention on form ..... 1 may 2011 to untill 1 may 2012 .. right ?