+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Worked in the US as a Canadian and trying to sponsor parents to Canada

Dec 4, 2021
I am a Canadian citizen who lived and worked in USA from January 2018 until October 2020.
I moved back to Canada in October 2020 for good and am living in Canada since October 2020.
Few days before moving back to Canada , I had submitted interest to sponsor form in October 2020 so that my parents get PR .
I got invitation to apply for draw of 2021.

During my time in USA I was not filing Canadian taxes with CRA (I was not supposed to because I had no ties with Canada as I lived and worked in USA and I was Canadian non resident for tax purposes).

As a proof of income in the application to sponsor parents , can I show the income from my USA employer and taxes paid to IRS?
My yearly income for each of the years during my time in USA was 6 times of what CIC wants to see as proof of income , plus it was US dollar.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You probably need to be physically living in Canada for all those years in order to qualify for sponsoring them.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
I am a Canadian citizen who lived and worked in USA from January 2018 until October 2020.
I moved back to Canada in October 2020 for good and am living in Canada since October 2020.
Few days before moving back to Canada , I had submitted interest to sponsor form in October 2020 so that my parents get PR .

During my time in USA I was not filing Canadian taxes with CRA (I was not supposed to because I had no ties with Canada as I lived and worked in USA and I was Canadian non resident for tax purposes).

As a proof of income in the application to sponsor parents , can I show the income from my USA employer and taxes paid to IRS?
My yearly income for each of the years during my time in USA was 6 times of what CIC wants to see as proof of income , plus it was US dollar.
Income could of been in any currency , but this is the rules .

How can I show proof of income to sponsor my parents and grandparents?
You must provide your Notice of Assessment from the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) for each of the three taxation years immediately preceding the date of your application.

In a nutshell, No

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020

No only Canadian income is considered.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

No, you can't.

You need three CRA NOAs. IRS returns will not be accepted.

No point in applying. Application is guaranteed to be refused.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
No only Canadian income is considered.
That's actually inaccurate. Non-Canadian income "may" be considered (it's up to the visa officer). However it must have been declared in a CRA return and appear in the NOA.

Dec 4, 2021
That's actually inaccurate. Non-Canadian income "may" be considered (it's up to the visa officer). However it must have been declared in a CRA return and appear in the NOA.
It was declared on the CRA tax return , I had to provide world income to CRA.
In the NOA that is issued , line 150 only will show the Canadian income and not world income. Canada and USA have tax treaty and you are not double taxed. Lien 150 shows the income for which you owe taxes to CRA.
Think you work 2 months in 2022 in Canada and then move to USA for working for the next 10 months of 2022.
The tax return you file with CRA will have total income (2 months of Canadian plus 10 months of US income converted into CAD$ going by the exchange rate CRA sets for that tax year) but the NOA issued by CRA will only show 2 months of Canadian income in line 150 because that's what you owe taxes on to CRA.

Last edited: