+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

worked full-time on a study permit (not enrolled in any college as a full-time student). will that affect my PR application?

thunderPharmD

Jan 14, 2021
I got to Canada on a 2-year study permit and changed my program to 1 year and successfully finished it. I couldn't find another college to do a program that I like and missed to enroll. Since I had permitted to stay in Canada for 1 more year I worked full-time (8 months). I don't want to use this as an experience for my PR. However, I extended my study permit for 12 more months to study again and got PGWP for 12 months which allowed me to gain 1-year of experience that I can use for PR. Should I be worried about processing my PR? (I always had a permit to stay in Canada)

Qwertypod

Jan 28, 2019
That 8 months I was on Study Permit without a full-time student status. (I am not sure if it's legal or illegal). I guess 20 hours/week applies for a full-time student only.
Of course it is illegal - even if you were on full-time student status, you still could've only worked up to 20hrs/week. How were you getting paid? You will have to disclose this information on your application - not sure if you are asking if you can hide this as they will find out through CRA.

thunderPharmD

Jan 14, 2021
I want to disclose and at the same time, I don't want to claim that 8 months of work experience. My question is am I still ok to apply for PR or not? Is my case solvable?

Qwertypod

Jan 28, 2019
There's no way to take back illegal work, so to say. You can try writing a very convincing letter of explanation, but ultimately it will be up to the officer. You can add this experience under personal history.