+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work visas, private colleges

KathyT

Dec 10, 2018
I am a reporter with the Globe and Mail and I am working on a possible story about some of the private colleges - where some international students mistakenly believe they will get a post graduate work permit and/or have trouble finding Cdn employers to hire them upon graduation. If anyone has information or insight to share about this problem at any college, please email me at ktomlinson@globeandmail.com

backendcode

Apr 18, 2014
Guelph
gr
I am a reporter with the Globe and Mail and I am working on a possible story about some of the private colleges - where some international students mistakenly believe they will get a post graduate work permit and/or have trouble finding Cdn employers to hire them upon graduation. If anyone has information or insight to share about this problem at any college, please email me at ktomlinson@globeandmail.com
Hi Kathy, I am glad you brought this issue. Many international students don't even know about it until they reached Canada. Honestly, I would blame Unauthorized/Ghost consultant for this who are practicing immigration and citizenship law outside Canada.

They lie to students and enroll them in Private schools because of the higher percentage of commission as compared to public colleges or universities. IRCC website has a list of all the colleges and universities in Canada who offer programs with an opportunity of getting a work permit after graduation. Moreover, IRCC website also has a list of private colleges which are not eligible for a post-graduation work permit.

Thank you,

KathyT

Dec 10, 2018
gr

Hi Kathy, I am glad you brought this issue. Many international students don't even know about it until they reached Canada. Honestly, I would blame Unauthorized/Ghost consultant for this who are practicing immigration and citizenship law outside Canada.

They lie to students and enroll them in Private schools because of the higher percentage of commission as compared to public colleges or universities. IRCC website has a list of all the colleges and universities in Canada who offer programs with an opportunity of getting a work permit after graduation. Moreover, IRCC website also has a list of private colleges which are not eligible for a post-graduation work permit.

Thank you,
Thank you for this information. Are you an RCIC? If so, can you please help me verify that the commissions are higher for agents who enroll students in private colleges? Is there any source you are aware of where commission rates are published? Or do you have direct knowledge of the commission rates that you can share? If you can help with this please email me ktomlinson@globeandmail.com
Thanks again!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thank you for this information. Are you an RCIC? If so, can you please help me verify that the commissions are higher for agents who enroll students in private colleges? Is there any source you are aware of where commission rates are published? Or do you have direct knowledge of the commission rates that you can share? If you can help with this please email me ktomlinson@globeandmail.com
Thanks again!
There also seems to be even a few colleges and universities that consultants recommend way to often. I had assumed that consultants were getting a kickback. Could also be lenient entrance requirements. These schools mainly consist of international students and some of their reps patrol these forums talking about the school if anyone questions the quality. They tend to be more expensive than many other universities.

Examples of some schools: Thompson River University, New York Institute of Technology in Vancouver, Fairleigh Dickinson University, Vancouver Island University,

selvakk

Champion Member
Nov 28, 2018
Also I have noticed a lot of people going to private colleges in Quebec, since the IELTS requirements in Quebec colleges are much lower than other provinces ( most of them accept 5.5 overall IELTS score)

Many of these students do not understand the differences between Quebec's immigration system vs the rest of Canada. Many programs they take in these colleges are not elegible for a CSQ but are eligible for the Federal PGWP program.

We've had to explain to many students about the difference between a CSQ and PGWP. Most of the students are placed by these consultants, many of which are unofficial.

This puts them at a severe disadvantage compared to their counterparts in other provinces when it comes to applying for PR.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Also I have noticed a lot of people going to private colleges in Quebec, since the IELTS requirements in Quebec colleges are much lower than other provinces ( most of them accept 5.5 overall IELTS score)

Many of these students do not understand the differences between Quebec's immigration system vs the rest of Canada. Many programs they take in these colleges are not elegible for a CSQ but are eligible for the Federal PGWP program.

We've had to explain to many students about the difference between a CSQ and PGWP. Most of the students are placed by these consultants, many of which are unofficial.

This puts them at a severe disadvantage compared to their counterparts in other provinces when it comes to applying for PR.
There are quite a lot of private schools who actually qualify for PGWP but the length of the program is a factor and may be limited to certain degrees.

selvakk

Champion Member
Nov 28, 2018
There are quite a lot of private schools who actually qualify for PGWP but the length of the program is a factor and may be limited to certain degrees.
Technically speaking in the DLI list it is mentioned that only specific programs that meet the requirements are allowed for PGWP. However most are unaware about this.