+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work Visa + Own business

KOI

Aug 20, 2018
Hello,
I recently received a job offer with a company in British Columbia (yay!). However I want to continue my side business I usually had worked on during the weekends, a workshop courses business in Canada.

Is it possible to setup a side business while on work visa for another company, and what would be the process/fees to do this as a foreigner?

Thanks!

Reactions: Victor Aigbologa

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Hello,
I recently received a job offer with a company in British Columbia (yay!). However I want to continue my side business I usually had worked on during the weekends, a workshop courses business in Canada.

Is it possible to setup a side business while on work visa for another company, and what would be the process/fees to do this as a foreigner?

Thanks!
Not unless you are the holder of an Open Work Permit. A closed work permit is restricted to permit only working for that employer. If you were working with Canadian clients or taking income from any Canadian source, you need to have a work permit for your own business. Were you working illegally?

KOI

Aug 20, 2018
okay, thanks!
Would this change upon obtaining a permanent residence in the future or does the limited work visa still hold?

Last edited:

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
okay, thanks!
Would this change upon obtaining a permanent residence in the future or does the limited work visa still hold?
As a PR you could do what ever you want it is just whilst on a closed work permit as a temporary resident that you are restricted to an employer.

Guillaume_fr

Jan 24, 2019
Super interesting! So if you are the holder of a closed work permit you can incorporate, say, in Quebec, and serve customers outside of Canada without infringing immigration laws?

According to this regulation, you seem to be fine if you don't directly compete with Canadian citizens or residents in the Canadian labor market.

Last edited:

Guillaume_fr

Jan 24, 2019
I think it also means you can only pay yourself in dividends because a wage/commission is also considered work.