Category........
WP
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
09-03-2021
Hey,
I used to post actively in this forum before I left to Canada for inquiries and to answer questions. I have a very peculiar issue now and was hoping someone will be able to help me. I am in the final semester of my studies. I expected to complete my masters last semester but had some corrections in my project report course.
The problem is, I was offered a job where I did my work term and was hoping to graduate this semester and join work. Since I couldn't graduate as expected, what visa options do I have to take up that job?
I don't have courses so I don't see a reason to register for this semester and waste money on fees (continuation fees). Do I get to be a part-time student? If so, can I do full-time work?
Even if I somehow finish my corrections in a few weeks and graduate should I try flagpoling for an immediate pgwp? Any suggestions and ideas are welcome

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hey,
I used to post actively in this forum before I left to Canada for inquiries and to answer questions. I have a very peculiar issue now and was hoping someone will be able to help me. I am in the final semester of my studies. I expected to complete my masters last semester but had some corrections in my project report course.
The problem is, I was offered a job where I did my work term and was hoping to graduate this semester and join work. Since I couldn't graduate as expected, what visa options do I have to take up that job?
I don't have courses so I don't see a reason to register for this semester and waste money on fees (continuation fees). Do I get to be a part-time student? If so, can I do full-time work?
Even if I somehow finish my corrections in a few weeks and graduate should I try flagpoling for an immediate pgwp? Any suggestions and ideas are welcome
Your employer needs to obtain an approved LMIA so that you can apply for a closed work permit.

You cannot work off campus as a part time student. You must be a full time student to work off campus. No - you cannot work full time. You can work up to 20 hours per week (again, assuming you are a full time student).

Kay2018

Jan 11, 2018
Newfoundland and Labrador
Category........
WP
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
09-03-2021
Your employer needs to obtain an approved LMIA so that you can apply for a closed work permit.

You cannot work off campus as a part time student. You must be a full time student to work off campus. No - you cannot work full time. You can work up to 20 hours per week (again, assuming you are a full time student).
Do employers give us time to obtain the pgwp ?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Do employers give us time to obtain the pgwp ?
I don't understand your question. You would need to complete your schooling before you qualify for a PGWP.

If you are asking whether your employer will wait until you have finished schooling and have a PGWP, that's really a conversation you will have to have with them.

Reactions: bongoman

bongoman

VIP Member
Dec 3, 2014
There are really no good options, you need to actually graduate to get pgwp i.e get official letter of completion. You are allowed to work full time as soon as you apply for pgwp with a complete application & valid study permit. However some employers only allow you to work if you actually get the PGWP which seems to take 3 months or so, so if your employer is like that it might be best to flagpole.