+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work VISA from New Company. Duration and Compensation?

dacoffee

Star Member
Jan 2, 2018
Hello,

I am working for an MNC in India. And, I will soon get an offer from another company in India. My new employer has an office in Canada and is willing to transfer me to their Canadian location.

I have few questions:

1) Can I apply for a Canadian work VISA right after joining the new company or should I wait for some time? Will this be an issue for VO? I will be applying with my wife and child.
2) For work VISA duration, is this something that the VO decides, or is it based on employer terms? Is there a standard duration period for which VISA is typically granted?
3) Does a company transfer from India to Canada require LMIA assessment?
4) The compensation is around CAD $120,00. Do you think this is fine to settle in Toronto with 3 member family (spouse + child)?

Thanks!

Last edited:

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello,

I am working for an MNC in India. And, I will soon get an offer from another company in India. My new employer has an office in Canada and is willing to transfer me to their Canadian location.

I have few questions:

1) Can I apply for a Canadian work VISA right after joining the new company or should I wait for some time? Will this be an issue for VO? I will be applying with my wife and child.
2) For work VISA duration, is this something that the VO decides, or is it based on employer terms? Is there a standard duration period for which VISA is typically granted?
3) Does a company transfer from India to Canada require LMIA assessment?
4) The compensation is around CAD $120,00. Do you think this is fine to settle in Toronto with 3 member family (spouse + child)?

Thanks!
1) If they want you to move to Canada before you have worked for them for a full year, then they need to obtain an approved LMIA in order for you to qualify for a closed work permit. Otherwise you need to work for them in India for a full year before they can try to obtain an LMIA exempt work permit through the ICT program.
2) Normally it's 2 years.
3) See answer to #1
4) It will give you a comfortable lifestyle however you will have to work hard to save money if you want to buy a house. This certainly won't give you a "rich" lifestyle since Toronto is quite expensive.