+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work, school and activities

Mr. Cool

Aug 6, 2018
On the citizenship application, under "Work, School, and Activities," the instructions state the following:

"Tell us what you have been doing during the five (5) year eligibility period. You must list all your work and study history including English/French language training inside or outside Canada for the five (5) year eligibility period. Press the (+) plus button if you need more space.

• If you were not working because you were studying, unemployed, retired, a caregiver, homemaker or volunteering for any part of this time, provide that information, including the location.
  • If you were self-employed, you must provide details of your self-employment.
  • If you have multiple occupations/activities that are continuing to the present, type “present” instead of putting a date in the “To” field.
You must provide information that covers the five (5) year eligibility period, being sure to account for each month.

Do not leave any gaps during this period and do not leave this section blank. If you do, your application will be returned to you."

My wife was a stay-at-home mom for most of this period, and we moved several times within Canada.

On her application, for each time we moved, I listed as follows:

From xxxx - xxxx
Activity 1: Homemaker
Employer or educational institution: Not applicable
[Home address]

This matches up with the address history.

She went to her home country for a one-month holiday. I did not mention that under "activities," but declared it in the travel history. The instructions specifically say there is no need to declare addresses of places you stayed while on vacation.

My one niggling doubt about this application is whether I should have mentioned holidays within Canada under the "activity" section. We did a fair bit of interprovincial travel during the eligibility period--usually just for a weekend, sometimes for a week or two.

Any thoughts?

Doom__V

May 6, 2018
On the citizenship application, under "Work, School, and Activities," the instructions state the following:

"Tell us what you have been doing during the five (5) year eligibility period. You must list all your work and study history including English/French language training inside or outside Canada for the five (5) year eligibility period. Press the (+) plus button if you need more space.

• If you were not working because you were studying, unemployed, retired, a caregiver, homemaker or volunteering for any part of this time, provide that information, including the location.
  • If you have multiple occupations/activities that are continuing to the present, type “present” instead of putting a date in the “To” field.
You must provide information that covers the five (5) year eligibility period, being sure to account for each month.

Do not leave any gaps during this period and do not leave this section blank. If you do, your application will be returned to you."

My wife was a stay-at-home mom for most of this period, and we moved several times within Canada.

From xxxx - xxxx
[Home address]

She went to her home country for a one-month holiday. I did not mention that under "activities," but declared it in the travel history. The instructions specifically say there is no need to declare addresses of places you stayed while on vacation.

My one niggling doubt about this application is whether I should have mentioned holidays within Canada under the "activity" section. We did a fair bit of interprovincial travel during the eligibility period--usually just for a weekend, sometimes for a week or two.

Any thoughts?
Don’t need to mention vacation in employment schedule. Its the main employement or educational enrolment that needs to go in there.
Hope that helps

Reactions: Mr. Cool

Mr. Cool

Aug 6, 2018
Thanks, that is also my interpretation. It does say all work and study, but seems to suggest that other activities would be only if they're primary.

James17grigg

Nov 16, 2022
One balances these activities by setting priorities correctly. If having fun is more important than preparing for your future by doing well in school, enjoy the good times. However, if you believe that “what goes around comes around,” you will have to pay a future piper by existing in a job for which you are prepared, but not one that you would like to do for the rest of your life.
Work is another matter; however, you will have to set priorities between work and school, too. Since you were old enough write the question, I assume that you are old enough to make wise choices. Activities

medwiz

May 25, 2014
One balances these activities by setting priorities correctly. If having fun is more important than preparing for your future by doing well in school, enjoy the good times. However, if you believe that “what goes around comes around,” you will have to pay a future piper by existing in a job for which you are prepared, but not one that you would like to do for the rest of your life.
Work is another matter; however, you will have to set priorities between work and school, too. Since you were old enough write the question, I assume that you are old enough to make wise choices. Activities
Words of wisdom
.... totally irrelevant but thanks

To OP: no need to list vacations or weekend breaks just major work and study activities

Reactions: Mr. Cool

lovekumar86

May 8, 2019
Work, school and activities:

hello @medwiz , do I need to mention the part time job details apart from the full time job though there are no gaps during the 5 year eligibility period in my citizenship application? If yes, can someone please guide how to mention in the application?

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019

From xxxx - xxxx
[Home address]

Any thoughts?
Not needed

lovekumar86

May 8, 2019
In Citizenship application, under "Work, School, and Activities," for 'Employer or educational institution', if we work through an agency , can we add the company name where we are working and in bracket mention the agency name ? @forw.jane can you please guide me?

Last edited: