+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work remote for US Based Employer

Discussion in 'Canadian Labour Legislation' started by Pjvanvox, Dec 10, 2018.

  1. Hello, I haven’t found specific threads about this although I’m sure this is asked frequently. I’ve searched immigration Canada sites but can’t find a clearcut exact answer for this.
    I’m a technical software developer for a US IRT firm . My work is 100% remote. My firm doesn’t have offices in Canada. I’d like to spend time in BC (Nelson, Fernie , Kelowna,etc.) but can’t figure out what I need to do to move there for 6 months —or more.
    1. Do I need a work permit of some kind?
    2. Do I need to register someplace?
    3. My employer doesn’t have Canadian clients to my knowledge., do they need to register as an employer?

    Any pointers to more information would be greatly appreciated. My next alternative would be to drive to an immigration office in Vancouver to ask all these questions.. I live in Oregon USA.
  2. Hi

    You can't just move to Canada. You could come as a visitor but that doesn't allow you to live here. If CBSA suspects you are trying to live here, you could be refused entry.

    Also, you can't show up at an immigration office to ask questions.

Share This Page