+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work Permits for Spousal Sponsorship Applicants

joelnberg

Jul 15, 2015
Hello again!

So we finally got the open work permit today! But the open work permit they gave us expires in 1 month?! The application for permanent residency is in process of course probably for a year and a bit.

What do I do with 1 month open work permit? Is this just the bridging permit till PR is granted, and the date is VOID or something??

Thanks

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
joelnberg said:
Hello again!

So we finally got the open work permit today! But the open work permit they gave us expires in 1 month?! The application for permanent residency is in process of course probably for a year and a bit.

What do I do with 1 month open work permit? Is this just the bridging permit till PR is granted, and the date is VOID or something??

Thanks
what is the expiration of the PR's passport? the OWP should be valid for more than 1 month. If the applicant's passport has a validity longer than that, then contact CIC to have it reissued correctly. also, are you sure you are reading the dates right? normally it's listed as day/month/year, not month/day/year.

profiler

VIP Member
Aug 10, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-MAR-2016
AOR Received.
13-MAY-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront; Passed
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
05-MAY-2017
CDNPR2014 said:
what is the expiration of the PR's passport? the OWP should be valid for more than 1 month. If the applicant's passport has a validity longer than that, then contact CIC to have it reissued correctly. also, are you sure you are reading the dates right? normally it's listed as day/month/year, not month/day/year.
I thought the OWP's were issued for 2 years... so the year would be "2018" or something like that.

I'd call to ask. Sounds like a processing error.

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
profiler said:
so the year would be "2018" or something like that.
that's very true, good point. if the passport doesn't expire on the current expiration date listed on the OWP or before 2018, then it should definitely be reissued! i'm pretty sure it somehow correlates with the passport validity date.

profiler

VIP Member
Aug 10, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-MAR-2016
AOR Received.
13-MAY-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront; Passed
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
05-MAY-2017
CDNPR2014 said:
that's very true, good point. if the passport doesn't expire on the current expiration date listed on the OWP or before 2018, then it should definitely be reissued! i'm pretty sure it somehow correlates with the passport validity date.
That was my first thought as well, because the PP will need to be valid in order for the person to remain in Canada. You're to have a valid PP I thought?

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
profiler said:
That was my first thought as well, because the PP will need to be valid in order for the person to remain in Canada. You're to have a valid PP I thought?
the PP could have been valid when the application was submitted. I'm not sure if it has to be valid for at least 6 months when submitting the application, like it does when responding to a PPR. looking back on this thread, the OP received an extension in may, so it could also align with that extension date...

joelnberg

Jul 15, 2015
Oh, damn it looks like that was because her old passport expired on that day!

She has since got a new passport for 10 years. How would we go about submitting the new visa info, and can we get a re-issue OWP after they have the new passport info?

I hope we can do this within the month and get looking for work!

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
joelnberg said:
Oh, damn it looks like that was because her old passport expired on that day!

She has since got a new passport for 10 years. How would we go about submitting the new visa info, and can we get a re-issue OWP after they have the new passport info?

I hope we can do this within the month and get looking for work!
send a case specific inquiry with a copy of the new passport and the owp, specifically requesting the OWP be reissued.

profiler

VIP Member
Aug 10, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-MAR-2016
AOR Received.
13-MAY-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront; Passed
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
05-MAY-2017
CDNPR2014 said:
send a case specific inquiry with a copy of the new passport and the owp, specifically requesting the OWP be reissued.
Also explain the mix-up.

profiler

VIP Member
Aug 10, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-MAR-2016
AOR Received.
13-MAY-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront; Passed
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
05-MAY-2017
joelnberg said:
Great will do, thank you. Definitely overlooked this with all the pressure getting things together!
Don't sweat it. I was up til 4last night adding captions to photos because we thought we had enough evidence. We wanted to make the case stronger, considering the stories of others...

We all overlook something :).

Good thing CIC is a little more lienent that other places...

joelnberg

Jul 15, 2015
So I received a letter from Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada saying they have confirmation of the new passport. They then said...

"Since your file is located at a Canadian visa office outside Canada, you must also contact them in order to report important changes, provide documents, obtain information regarding the status of your application or enquire on an outcome to your request."

I then clicked their link to find the office in Sao Paulo and their email, SaoPaulo-im-enquiry@international.gc.ca. I submitted a Case Specific enquiry, and also email that address directly with our situation and documents. As of now we're waiting for a reply on this and am hoping this sounds like the right way forward?

One more thing, since we are running down to 2 weeks now before expiry and am not sure how long they will take to reply, should we apply for an OWP extension? She will have implied status for the duration of that application no?

Thank you

MilesAway

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Warsaw
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-09-2014
Doc's Request.
09-04-2015
AOR Received.
12-11-2014
File Transfer...
30-10-2014
Med's Done....
26-08-2014
Passport Req..
23-04-2015
VISA ISSUED...
07-05-2015
LANDED..........
04-06-2015
Did you apply outland? If so, then you aren't eligible for the OWP at all.

joelnberg

Jul 15, 2015
No we applied inland, we already have the approved OWP but was only issued for 1 month till the expiry of her old passport. We just sent in the new passport details and are now looking for a new OWP or extention for the appropriate time, based on the new passport. I think they usually give 2 years...

MilesAway

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Warsaw
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-09-2014
Doc's Request.
09-04-2015
AOR Received.
12-11-2014
File Transfer...
30-10-2014
Med's Done....
26-08-2014
Passport Req..
23-04-2015
VISA ISSUED...
07-05-2015
LANDED..........
04-06-2015
If you applied inland, then why did CIC say that your file is at a VO outside of Canada?