+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work permit while wife awaits PR approval?

Beehivefive

Star Member
May 30, 2013
I posted this under a separate topic, but wanted to ask the question in its own topic, just in case.

I know my wife is not eligible to work until her PR goes through, but would it be in any way possible for her to get a work permit before the PR approval? I understand that if I have a job that qualifies as "NOC," it might be possible, but unfortunately I do not. HOWEVER, her profession (television producer) actually IS a "NOC" job. If she can prove her credentials as a TV producer for the last ten years, could she get a temp work permit on her own merits? Just trying to find a way for her to start working in her field as soon as we get to Toronto, instead of waiting a year or more! Thanks a million!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
The rule you've quoted (obtaining a work permit based on your job) doesn't apply to your situation because you are a Canadian rather than a foreign worker.

Your options are as follows:

If you apply for PR using the inland process, your wife will qualify for an open work permit once the application has first stage approval (at approximatley the six month mark).

If you apply for PR using the outland process, no open work permit is available. In that case, if your wife wants to work before she has PR, she will have to find an employer first who is willing to hire her in Canada. That employer will then have to obtain an approved Labour Market Opinion (unless your wife qualifies under NAFTA - which I don't believe she does). Once the approved LMO is in hand, your wife can then apply for a closed work permit.