+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work Permit Required?

MelindaL.

Jan 3, 2016
NOC Code......
IELTS Request
20-02-2016
Hello,

I have a U.S Citizen friend who will be visiting Canada to attend my wedding.
She sells makeup in the U.S, and has offered to be the makeup artist for my bridesmaid for a small fee (at most she will make $350 USD)
She is not a professional makeup artist, so does she need to apply for a work permit?

Most of the bridesmaids are from the U.S as well, so I didn't know if the payments were taken care of in the U.S instead of Canada, if that would make a difference.

I looked at the resources for business visitor, but I'm not sure that applies since she is not a professional.

Thank you!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hello,

I have a U.S Citizen friend who will be visiting Canada to attend my wedding.
She sells makeup in the U.S, and has offered to be the makeup artist for my bridesmaid for a small fee (at most she will make $350 USD)
She is not a professional makeup artist, so does she need to apply for a work permit?

Most of the bridesmaids are from the U.S as well, so I didn't know if the payments were taken care of in the U.S instead of Canada, if that would make a difference.

I looked at the resources for business visitor, but I'm not sure that applies since she is not a professional.

Thank you!
Hi

Honestly, given the situation, the inconsequential amount and the fact that there is zero chance she would get a work permit, I just wouldn't mention the "paid to do make-up" bit. She is simply coming to attend a friend's wedding. If she tells CBSA anything like "I've been paid money to do make-up here in Canada", she will likely have problems.