+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work permit required. On H1B in the US, Express entry applied and under process!

Ushah1234

Aug 11, 2017
Hi All, just wanted to understand my options regarding attaining a work permit so that I can be with my fiancé in canada. I have already applied for my PR under express entry 6 months back. Still under process. I would like to know what are my options for a work permit.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hi All, just wanted to understand my options regarding attaining a work permit so that I can be with my fiancé in canada. I have already applied for my PR under express entry 6 months back. Still under process. I would like to know what are my options for a work permit.
You need to get a job offer and then the employer files for a LMIA. The employer has to pay $1000 and then prove no Canadian or PR can do the job (you aren’t PR yet). It takes months to process and then if successful, you apply for a closed work permit. Then wait for processing.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020

Ushah1234

Aug 11, 2017
Yes I understand but can my company apply for an open work permit. Is that a possibility or I can apply for a work permit myself if I have an offer letter from my company registered in canada?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Yes I understand but can my company apply for an open work permit. Is that a possibility or I can apply for a work permit myself if I have an offer letter from my company registered in canada?
Your company can’t apply for an open work permit. So I assume that your company has Canadian offices for you to transfer to, and you have worked there for at least a year. Get your company lawyers and HR to look at an inter company transfer which is LMIA exempt. Certain employees are eligible - executives, senior management and those with technical knowledge (no Canadian employer can do the job).

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/foreign-workers/exemption-codes/intra-company-transferees.html

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
you need the employer to apply for LMIA and a CLOSED work permit for you. It will take months for both applications.