+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work Permit Refused due to Residency

Discussion in 'Foreign Workers' started by gmangiapane152, Mar 15, 2019.

  1. Hello,
    my name is Giorgio.
    Me and my girlfriend applied for a working holiday visa for Canada this year.
    The immigration start to ask many documents since we apply and we always promptly replay to them.
    Today my girlfriend get an email where the Immigration said that the visa has been refused because she do not currently reside in Japan.
    So my girlfriend is from Japan, but in the last 4 years, we have been living in Australia and now in New Zealand.
    On this letter, they said that she can re-apply for the same visa, but of course if we will put the same information, the visa will be refused once again.
    I just want to understand if there is something wrong that we did when we applied or it is because she is not anymore resident in Japan because she has been living abroad for a while?
    If someone knows any info about it, that will be really helpfull.
    Also should we pay for a immigration agent to help us with that? Can they do something about it?
    Thanks Again
  2. She was correctly refused. She was refused because she is not living in Japan - this is a requirement for those applying from Japan. If she wants to trying reapplying, she would need to return to Japan and live there for at least 4-6 months to re-establish residency there before entering the IEC pool again.

    An immigration agent can't help you. She was correctly refused and doesn't meet the program requirements. The only thing that can fix this is if she returns to Japan and lives there for a while.
  3. As stated by @scylla


    Japan—Working Holiday
    This pool is open. If you’re eligible you can submit your profile now.

    Description: The Working Holiday category is designed for Japanese citizens who intend to travel in Canada and who wish to find temporary paid employment to help pay for their trip (up to 12 months).

    Note: As a Japanese citizen, you may participate in IEC only once.

    To be eligible for the Working Holiday category, you must:
    • be a Japanese citizen,
    • have a valid Japanese passport for the duration of your stay in Canada—your work permit in Canada will not be longer than the validity of your passport,
    • provide a permanent address in Japan in your work permit application,
    • be between the ages of 18 and 30 (inclusive),
    • have a minimum of CAN$2,500 to help cover your expenses in Canada,
    • have health insurance for the duration of your stay—you may have to present evidence of this insurance when you enter Canada,
    • be admissible to Canada,
    • have, before departure, a round-trip ticket or demonstrate that you will have the financial resources to purchase a departure ticket at the end of your authorized stay in Canada,
    • not be accompanied by dependents, and
    • pay the fees.
  4. Hi, thanks for the reply.
    As where you show, it talks about the permanet residence which my girlfriend state as Japan.
    In the form there is the residence (where you live now) and the permanent residence (citizenship) and she wrote New Zealand for the first one and Japan in the second.
    Also in the questions before you create your profile she wrote that she is living in new Zealand and citizen of japan and the website said that she is eligble for the visa.
    Another thing we check is that in her account when they ask them for the address, she put the Nz one because it says to put the one where are you living currently.

    I really coudn' t find anything regarding the country where you apply from on the Canadian website, it talks just about the permanent residence which she put as Japan.

    Should we re-apply and just put the japanese address? Thanks heaps
  5. No - this won't do it. IRCC already knows she isn't living in Japan and it will result in another refusal. Again, she needs to return to Japan and live there for several months before reapplying to re-establish residency there.

    There is potentially another option provided you and your girlfriend are common law (this means you have lived together for at least one full year continuously and have evidence to prove this cohabitation like joint leases). The alternative is for you to come to Canada and find a job that is NOC A, B or 0 (skilled job). Once you have started that job and can provide three pay slips, your girlfriend can apply for an open work permit based on your job. Approval is not guaranteed but the chances should be quite high.

Share This Page