+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work Permit received

Amitgocha

Nov 7, 2018
Hi, I visited Canada on a visit visa and stayed there for almost 8 months. Since I did not find the papers, I came back to my home country. Now, i got a call from the Canadian employer and he is sending me the LMIA. So, my question is, can I change my status at the airport as he needs me to start the work ASAP and he cannot wait for the WP process which takes approx. 3-4 months.

Your thoughts will be highly appreciated.

Thanks,
Amit

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi, I visited Canada on a visit visa and stayed there for almost 8 months. Since I did not find the papers, I came back to my home country. Now, i got a call from the Canadian employer and he is sending me the LMIA. So, my question is, can I change my status at the airport as he needs me to start the work ASAP and he cannot wait for the WP process which takes approx. 3-4 months.

Thanks,
Amit
Depends on what passport you hold.

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014

Thanks,
Amit
Hi Amit,

1. You would want to be sure that you have a genuine job offer and a genuine LMIA.

2. If you are an Indian citizen then no, you cannot apply for a WP at the border. You need to submit the application to a visa office

Cheers

Amitgocha

Nov 7, 2018
Hi Amit,

1. You would want to be sure that you have a genuine job offer and a genuine LMIA.

2. If you are an Indian citizen then no, you cannot apply for a WP at the border. You need to submit the application to a visa office

Cheers
Thank you for the information. But, just have a doubt in mind since I have a visit visa, can I go and change at the border too. I have in many instances where people have changed their visit visa to work visa. So, just to wanted to be sure.

Thanks,
Amit.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thank you for the information. But, just have a doubt in mind since I have a visit visa, can I go and change at the border too. I have in many instances where people have changed their visit visa to work visa. So, just to wanted to be sure.

Thanks,
Amit.
No - you can't. You need to apply for the work permit from your home country before you travel to Canada.