+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work permit or visitor record?

Youthberry

May 12, 2016
Hi everyone,

My visitor record is about to expire in one month. I will have to extend it while waiting for LMIA result.

Can anyone please advice me whether I should apply for extension as a visitor or a worker?

I prefer applying for a work permit since I will get one once I have a positive LMIA. However, I will not have the approval number when I apply for a work permit. Is it ok that I apply for it first and provide the LMIA number later on through webform?

Thanks in advance.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi everyone,

My visitor record is about to expire in one month. I will have to extend it while waiting for LMIA result.

Can anyone please advice me whether I should apply for extension as a visitor or a worker?

I prefer applying for a work permit since I will get one once I have a positive LMIA. However, I will not have the approval number when I apply for a work permit. Is it ok that I apply for it first and provide the LMIA number later on through webform?

Thanks in advance.
You need to apply for the extension as a visitor.

You can only apply for an extension as a worker if you currently hold a valid work permit.

Dec 10, 2018
Hello,
I am in a situation like you, Youthberry. I have a question if you know or if anybody knows. Can I apply inside Canada if I received the LMIA?, or I have to apply from outside Canada. My history is below for reference:

I came to Canada in 2016 to work with a closed work permit for two years. Then I had accepted an offer for another job before the end of my first work permit. My future employer applied for LMIA for me and it is still under processing for about 5.5 months. Before the expiration date of my first work permit, I applied to extend my stay for six months and it was approved "visitor record". Now, I am about to reach the expiration date of my current visitor record. So, I am planning to apply for the work permit using the LMIA receipt or if I received the LMIA before the expiration date.

Thanks in advance.