+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work permit on point of entry to Canada possible?

AshJWalker

Nov 3, 2013
Hello all....

I have spent over two years in Canada living the dream but unfortunately due to the expiry of my IEC work visa have recently had to return to my not so great life in the UK ! Its my dream to get back and look to eventually stay permanently down the line. I have just recieved word from my old employer that they are willing to apply for an LMO for me to return to work for their company (Food & Beverage Supervisor) . However they have also told me how long the process can take ( 4-7 Months )

My questions are how can i speed up this time frame.

1. Can i apply for my work permit whilst i'm waiting for my LMO and then when the LMO arrives submit it at later date ? that way getting the ball rolling on the lengthly process application .

2. Can i get my work permit issued at the point of entry to canada (without applying prior) providing i have my LMO, contract of employment and any other required paperwork. Again in turn cutting down the application process.

Many Thanks in advance all.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
1. No - you can't. Your employer needs to obtain the approved LMO first.
2. Yes - you can apply for the work permit at the border.

Tilikun

Jan 4, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Veg--CPC-Miss
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-08-2013
AOR Received.
05-09-2013
Med's Done....
13-01-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
SA and AIP 27-10-2014
VISA ISSUED...
DM 08-01-2015 Landing letter email 12-01-2015
LANDED..........
(On 2nd attempt) 23-01-2015/PRCard received on 09-03-2015
scylla said:
And bring a IMM1295e filled up, validated ( printed with barcodes ). And ca$155.00
LMO for an employer that I know here , it took him 6 1/2 months . But it depends if it is a new employer or if it is an employer that got LMO's in the pass.

tipsy

Oct 6, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
CPC-Mississauga
App. Filed.......
24-09-2018
Doc's Request.
03-01-2019
AOR Received.
18-10-2018
Med's Request
30-11-2018
Med's Done....
01-12-2018
Interview........
30-04-2019
scylla said:
really? I also plan to go to canada this year and anytime my LMO from employer will come out. I have a multiple visa TRV and I am planning to apply work permit in canada instead in my residence country as it will take 7mos to process if i will do it here, but i saw in cic website that it will only take 15 days to process work permit if inside canada. BUT i saw that i should have atleast 6months and more for TRV, but a normal TRV is vallid less than 6months stay only.

Please advise.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
tipsy said:
really? I also plan to go to canada this year and anytime my LMO from employer will come out. I have a multiple visa TRV and I am planning to apply work permit in canada instead in my residence country as it will take 7mos to process if i will do it here, but i saw in cic website that it will only take 15 days to process work permit if inside canada. BUT i saw that i should have atleast 6months and more for TRV, but a normal TRV is vallid less than 6months stay only.

Please advise.
Here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/apply-who-eligible.asp you can see who is eligible to apply from where.

Apply from outside Canada

Anyone may apply for a work permit before they enter Canada. In some cases, you must apply to a visa office outside Canada. This is usually true if you need a visa to enter Canada or if you need to have a medical exam before you come here.

To apply for a work permit from outside Canada, see the Instruction Guide to find out what documents you need.

Apply from inside Canada

You can only apply for a work permit from inside Canada if you:

•are currently in Canada and have a valid study or work permit, or your spouse or parents have a study or work permit,
•have graduated from a program at a
◦Canadian university,
◦community college,
◦CÉGEP,
◦publicly funded trade/technical school or
◦other eligible school,

•have a temporary resident permit that is valid for six months or more, or
•are in Canada because you have already applied for permanent residence from inside Canada (you will have to pass certain stages in the main application process to be eligible for a work permit).

See the Instruction Guide to find out what documents you need.

Apply as you enter Canada

You can ask to be allowed to work in Canada as you enter Canada but only if:

•you do not need a visa,
•you already hold a valid medical certificate, if you need it for your job, and
•your employer does not need a labour market opinion (LMO) for your job (with some exceptions) or you already have an LMO.
So you see, who can apply from inside Canada is restricted to those who are already in Canada with a work permit, those who have studied in Canada and are graduating, spouses of such persons, having applied for PR inland (spouse/live-in caregiver) and having first stage approval or people who are on TRP which is by the way not the same as a TRV. You are not eligible to apply from inside Canada as far as I can see.

Applying as you enter is allowed if you do not need a visa and already have medicals done if you need them and you already have the LMO. I have heard of people who were not visa exempt but had a multiple entry TRV getting a work permit at the border when they arrived there with their LMO so this is something you can try. If you are already in Canada when the LMO is issued, you can either leave and come back by plane or go to the border and flagpole.

tipsy

Oct 6, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
CPC-Mississauga
App. Filed.......
24-09-2018
Doc's Request.
03-01-2019
AOR Received.
18-10-2018
Med's Request
30-11-2018
Med's Done....
01-12-2018
Interview........
30-04-2019
Same as I understand. Is just that, maybe I missed out some info that can help me possibly apply inside canada. ;D