+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work permit in process // re-entry

Bobby Joe

Aug 23, 2016
Hi !

I am currently extending my work permit in Canada. My current permit expires Aug 31 but I will be out of the country for 10 days at this time, so technically I can't beneficiate of the Implied status to be abble to re-enter the country and work.

So what are my options here ? Can I re-enter the country as a tourist and then wait for me permit to be renewed ?
If so, do I need to explain my situation at the border or just say that I am a simple tourist here for 30 days and show a ticket for my flight out of the country ? Do I have to get a TRV ?
I know I won't be able to work ( most likely ) but just need to be sure I will be able to re-enter the country.

Thanks for your help !

rezafc

Champion Member
Jun 19, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
01-08-2014
Technically speaking, if you leave the country you will need to apply for your work permit from outside. You can't say you are in Canada and then leave the country. And implied status will not grant you a re-enter, regardless!
Depends if you are from an visa exempt country too! If you are not, then you will need to apply for a TRV to re-enter Canada.

Also under any circumstances do not lie or hide about your situation. Misrepresentation is not considered as a value. So yes please explain your situation at the border. They can see everything on their systems. They will ask you why did you apply for a WP and you left the country? And you should be prepared to explain yourself thoroughly.

Best of luck,

Bobby Joe

Aug 23, 2016
Thanks for the response !
Actually I already submitted my application for an extention of my permit weeks ago. I am waiting for the decision.
So do you think it is ok to Apply for a TRV and enter the country as a tourist, knowing that my application is in process ?

rezafc

Champion Member
Jun 19, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
01-08-2014
Read this: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/visas-all.asp

Bobby Joe

Aug 23, 2016
Thanks I think I see clearly now.
The only thing I am not sure about is if yes or no I will need to have a return ticket to france to be able to enter as a tourist, when they will know that I have an application in process.

rezafc

Champion Member
Jun 19, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
01-08-2014
Bobby Joe said:
Thanks I think I see clearly now.
The only thing I am not sure about is if yes or no I will need to have a return ticket to france to be able to enter as a tourist, when they will know that I have an application in process.
To be honest I am not going to give you a definitive answer and I hope you understand. It all depends on your officer. If they want to give you a hard time they will ask for a ticket back to France, but if they are smooth and friendly they would not ask for it. Just to be clear here, a return ticket is meant to give the border assurance that you have ties back home and you will get back. You will not stay in Canada and abuse the system, that's all it is for. Worse comes to worst if you show up without a return ticket at the airport, and they really want you to have a return ticket, and they ask you to go back if you don't have one (which I highly doubt it) you can book one in front of them on your phone or in waiting room or whatever.

Just explain yourself thoroughly and sincerely, the officers are not heartless robots! They are humans.

And stop worrying, let the chips fall where they may.

Best of luck,