+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work Permit help!!

yupanin

Jun 25, 2012
[Re-post as I have posted in the wrong part of the forum, sorry]

I have a few questions to ask you guys and hoping for your expertise on the topic.

I have currently finished my MA in Canada. Prior to this I have studied for my BSc and have worked for 2 years under my Post-Grad work permit. At this moment I have few options available to me - PNP, LMO and marriage. My post-grad work permit expired in April 2012.

According to my lawyer it will take about 9-12 months to get the first stage of PNP and get a work permit as an applicant based on completion of the Masters degree (without employer). I was wondering if that is the case and does it take that long?

The second questions is with regards to Off-campus Work Permit. I hold a study permit until December 2013, I was wondering if I can apply for the work permit even though I have finished my studies?

Finally how hard is it to obtain an LMO through the usual process of applying for jobs? I have a masters degree behind me, but at the moment it looks to be an impossible task.

As you can see I am mainly concerned with being able to work here. FYI my degree is in MA Financial Economics if that makes a difference.

Thank you in advance for any advice or help you can provide!!!

Empirical-Scientist

Jun 4, 2012
yupanin said:
[Re-post as I have posted in the wrong part of the forum, sorry]

I have a few questions to ask you guys and hoping for your expertise on the topic.

I have currently finished my MA in Canada. Prior to this I have studied for my BSc and have worked for 2 years under my Post-Grad work permit. At this moment I have few options available to me - PNP, LMO and marriage. My post-grad work permit expired in April 2012.

According to my lawyer it will take about 9-12 months to get the first stage of PNP and get a work permit as an applicant based on completion of the Masters degree (without employer). I was wondering if that is the case and does it take that long?

The second questions is with regards to Off-campus Work Permit. I hold a study permit until December 2013, I was wondering if I can apply for the work permit even though I have finished my studies?

Finally how hard is it to obtain an LMO through the usual process of applying for jobs? I have a masters degree behind me, but at the moment it looks to be an impossible task.

As you can see I am mainly concerned with being able to work here. FYI my degree is in MA Financial Economics if that makes a difference.

Thank you in advance for any advice or help you can provide!!!
1. The PNP does not take that long if you're going for the International Post-graduate pilot program. The province shall nominate you in 1-2 months; you'll get your PR in 5-6 months thereafter.

2. You can apply for a work permit in two disparate cases. If you choose to go for the PNP AND you get nominated, then the province can help you get a work permit. If you don't, then you'll have to have your employer to help you get a new work permit. The LMO is really hard to get...

SenoritaBella

VIP Member
Jan 2, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Dakar
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-01-2014
AOR Received.
12-02-2014
File Transfer...
25-02-2014
Med's Request
02-11-2015
Med's Done....
18-09-2013
Passport Req..
02-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
hopefully soon
LANDED..........
hopefully soon
You should have applied under the CEC(Canadian Experience Class) - graduate stream after 1 year of full-time skilled work experience - why didn't you? Anyway, if it's not been over a year since you left your job(the one under the post-grad work permit), then you can still apply under this stream.

From the checklist, you need an "eligibility verification" to apply for an off-campus work permit, which I assume you get from the designated school official - how would you get this when you have finished your studies? Your study permit is valid till Dec 2013 which means you can stay legally till then, so it is important that you only submit applications for which you are clearly eligible.

You have a few options:
1. LMO - you have to find an employer who is willing to apply for it and show that they tried and were unable to find a Canadian to do the job. It's not easy but it's possible and you can't know unless you try. Depending where you live, it could take months or weeks to get the LMO and then you can apply for a closed work permit. Plus, after working for 1 year in a skilled job, you will be eligible to apply under the CEC(graduate stream).

2. PNP - not very familiar with this stream but you should look into it for all provinces. Some have shorter wait times or less stringent requirements than others.

3. marriage - if you have a genuine relationship and your sponsor is approved, then it's worth considering. Note that there is talk of sponsored spouses having conditional pr status for a period of time but it has not yet become law. See: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/department/media/releases/2012/2012-03-09.asp