+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

WORK PERMIT HELP! Already in Canada on Visitor Visa

BODAI

Mar 4, 2010
I am a UK Citizen.
I have applied for an Immigration Visa (Skilled Worker - I work in IT) but have been told this can take up to 8 months to process.

I wanted to come to Canada sooner than 8 months to find work.
However, I am aware that to get a work permit, you need a job offer, which I did not have.
I was advised by the Immigration office in London to come here on a visitor permit, look for work, then apply for a work permit once I have a job offer.

This is what I have done, and I am currently in Vancouver looking for work.
Hopefully it looks like I will soon get a job offer.

What do I then need to do?
Can I apply for a work permit from inside Canada, or do I need to return to the UK to do it from there?

I have read something about an LMO, but am not sure what this is or how I get one.

Please help!

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

BODAI said:
I am a UK Citizen.
I have applied for an Immigration Visa (Skilled Worker - I work in IT) but have been told this can take up to 8 months to process.

I wanted to come to Canada sooner than 8 months to find work.
However, I am aware that to get a work permit, you need a job offer, which I did not have.
I was advised by the Immigration office in London to come here on a visitor permit, look for work, then apply for a work permit once I have a job offer.

This is what I have done, and I am currently in Vancouver looking for work.
Hopefully it looks like I will soon get a job offer.

What do I then need to do?
Can I apply for a work permit from inside Canada, or do I need to return to the UK to do it from there?

I have read something about an LMO, but am not sure what this is or how I get one.

Please help!
1. The employer is the one who has to apply for an LMO after advertising on the job bank for 2 weeks and has to demonstrate that there are no CCs/PRs available for the job. And why those that applied were not qualified. If it is approved then you could go with the LMO to the Border and "flagpole" and apply for a work permit on re-entry.

PMM

BODAI

Mar 4, 2010
Is it really that simple?
Do I need to fill out all the paperwork from the Citizenship and Immigration Canada website?

Can I go to any border?
Do I have to cross the border into another country first?
For example, do I cross into America for a day and then come back and apply then?
Could I just go to the airport and do it there?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

BODAI said:
Is it really that simple?
Do I need to fill out all the paperwork from the Citizenship and Immigration Canada website?

Can I go to any border?
Do I have to cross the border into another country first?
For example, do I cross into America for a day and then come back and apply then?
Could I just go to the airport and do it there?
1. It is simple, but the hard part is for the employer to get the LMO, unless you have a skill that is in high demand, it probably will be refused.
2, You don't need any paper work until the LMO is approved.
3. It has to be a border point, not an airport, you go the the US side, get a rejection letter (doesn't effect future admissions) and return for the work permit.

PMM

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
vonster said:
What is a LMO?
If you have found an employer and your job in IT is one of these: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/special-tech.asp then you might not need a Labour Market Opinion. But you still need a job offer and possibly a contract from the employer. Otherwise the employer has to advertise for the position to show s/he tried to recruit Canadian Citizens.Permanent Resident and none applied/qualified before s/he can apply for a LMO in your name.