+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work permit from Scandinavia (or other countries belonging to London office)

tusan

Aug 28, 2020
Agreed. I too did my PhD internationally and been actually planning for this postdoc for over a year. So it is very irritating that something like this ends up being the determining obstacle in getting in the country.
We're on the same boat. I haven't heard anything from IRCC either and I don't expect to hear anything for at least 2 or 3 months (in the most positive scenario).

tusan

Aug 28, 2020
Nope. Nevertheless, he started working for his Canadian advisor as Canadian university might pay him. But the university people still aren't sure if it works. He said he also submitted a letter to expedite processing but nothing happened. I am also waiting for my work-permit to be approved but I applied from US with similar timelines. Just like my friend, I will also start working for the Canadian professor but from mid September or so.
If your university manage to pay you to work remotely, please share with us. I might ask my university to look at this solution too. And good luck :)

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Agreed. I too did my PhD internationally and been actually planning for this postdoc for over a year. So it is very irritating that something like this ends up being the determining obstacle in getting in the country.
Something like a virus that’s highly contagious and that kills people ?
Oh yah, that’s quite a obstacle

vsmkrm298

Star Member
Jul 6, 2020
USA
Category........
CEC
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
As far as I understood, Canada's immigration system is ridiculous as my friends who applied for work-permit in Germany and in the US got their approvals even during these times. Surprisingly, Germany took 6 days to approve my friends work-permit while US took the usual time of 3 months to approve OPT. So, if possible, don't leave your current country during these times as this simply puts you in misery.

Alisa-Fin

Aug 27, 2020
Category........
WP
As far as I understood, Canada's immigration system is ridiculous as my friends who applied for work-permit in Germany and in the US got their approvals even during these times. Surprisingly, Germany took 6 days to approve my friends work-permit while US took the usual time of 3 months to approve OPT. So, if possible, don't leave your current country during these times as this simply puts you in misery.
when did your friend from Germany apply? That is a really quick turnaround! Did they apply for an urgent processing? or did they serve essential service roles?

vsmkrm298

Star Member
Jul 6, 2020
USA
Category........
CEC
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
when did your friend from Germany apply? That is a really quick turnaround! Did they apply for an urgent processing? or did they serve essential service roles?
I think my friend applied in the first week of August. I don't recall she applying for an urgent processing. She is a particle physicist, so she is not an essential employee. Yup it indeed is a quick process

Alisa-Fin

Aug 27, 2020
Category........
WP
I think my friend applied in the first week of August. I don't recall she applying for an urgent processing. She is a particle physicist, so she is not an essential employee. Yup it indeed is a quick process
This is really confusing. There seems to be no consistency in the processing times and the refusal or acceptance of someone for ugent processing... I wish there was someone I could ask for more information

vsmkrm298

Star Member
Jul 6, 2020
USA
Category........
CEC
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
This is really confusing. There seems to be no consistency in the processing times and the refusal or acceptance of someone for ugent processing... I wish there was someone I could ask for more information
Well, she applied for a work-permit in Germany from the USA, not to Canada. I only pointed this just to describe how ridiculous Canada immigration process is, compared to other countries.

Alisa-Fin

Aug 27, 2020
Category........
WP
Well, she applied for a work-permit in Germany from the USA, not to Canada. I only pointed this just to describe how ridiculous Canada immigration process is, compared to other countries.
Oh okay that explains then...and yes indeed...

vsmkrm298

Star Member
Jul 6, 2020
USA
Category........
CEC
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
Hey guys, since I got an approval and also to submit my passport to a nearby VAC, I thought of letting you know what I did that might have led to approval.
I applied from US on June 22 and gave biometrics on July 21st. I sent a letter to expedite the processing of my application on August 24 (I sent email to
IRCC.COVID-TravelExemptions-Exemptionsdevoyage-COVID.IRCC@cic.gc.ca and also webform). I didn't see any changes in my application status. So, I again sent a letter for expedition on September 10th (both email and webform). This time, in addition to the letter, I explained how miserable my current situation is to them and within few days, I got approval. Also, I saw another approval received by a Postdoc who submitted his application in July 18th (or so) in the USA in another thread. So, it might not hurt if you send multiple requests for expedition. Good luck.

Alisa-Fin

Aug 27, 2020
Category........
WP
Hey guys, since I got an approval and also to submit my passport to a nearby VAC, I thought of letting you know what I did that might have led to approval.
I applied from US on June 22 and gave biometrics on July 21st. I sent a letter to expedite the processing of my application on August 24 (I sent email to
IRCC.COVID-TravelExemptions-Exemptionsdevoyage-COVID.IRCC@cic.gc.ca and also webform). I didn't see any changes in my application status. So, I again sent a letter for expedition on September 10th (both email and webform). This time, in addition to the letter, I explained how miserable my current situation is to them and within few days, I got approval. Also, I saw another approval received by a Postdoc who submitted his application in July 18th (or so) in the USA in another thread. So, it might not hurt if you send multiple requests for expedition. Good luck.
Thanks for the info, this is very helpful. Are you able to share the key factors that you listed as reasons to expedite the process?
Are you aware of the field of research for the other postdoc? i.e. essential in any way or covid related or not? Thanks for the help

vsmkrm298

Star Member
Jul 6, 2020
USA
Category........
CEC
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
In the letter signed by my advisor, we wrote generic reasons as my field of research is not related to covid. The reasons are like guiding PhD students, how Postdoc research is important to my university and hence to Canada, saying that this research is highly awarded (don't know what this means). We also write in the letter the my university has 14-day quarantine plan and facilities for incoming students and faculty.
In the body of the email/Webform, I basically ranted about my miserable situation.

Alisa-Fin

Aug 27, 2020
Category........
WP
In the letter signed by my advisor, we wrote generic reasons as my field of research is not related to covid. The reasons are like guiding PhD students, how Postdoc research is important to my university and hence to Canada, saying that this research is highly awarded (don't know what this means). We also write in the letter the my university has 14-day quarantine plan and facilities for incoming students and faculty.
In the body of the email/Webform, I basically ranted about my miserable situation.
Thank you for your reply, and congrats on the positive decision. Hopefully it is good news for the rest of us soon too...