+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work permit from Scandinavia (or other countries belonging to London office)

Alisa-Fin

Aug 27, 2020
Category........
WP
Hi there, hoping to connect with other applicants from Scandinavia (Finland, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Iceland) or other countries belonging to London Visa Office (Netherlands, UK, Ireland).

About my application:
I have applied for an LMIA exempt closed work permit (NOC 4011) on July 8 (online application.
Submitted biometrics on July 10 (from Finland).
Application shows currently (and since July 8) as "processing background check" which makes me think they have not yet started processing it.
We (the university I will be employed by) tried to expedite the process by submitting a letter requesting urgent processing (under normal circumstances I believe I would be eligible for the 2 week processing under GSS), but this request failed to go through as they did not see me as performing essential services from the POV of covid-19.
My contract starts Sept 1 but it is unlikely that I will make it to Canada on time for that start date (which is upsetting but my understanding is many others are in the same situation as I am).

According to IRCC website, application times for Finland (other countries including Sweden, Norway, Denmark, are and have been in the same boat though) have moved from 10 weeks on July 8 (at the time I submitted the application) to the current 18 weeks (i.e. an increase of 1 week every week). This is very confusing to me. Estimated processing times for the Netherlands is 4 weeks, UK 6 weeks and Ireland 12 weeks.
If all these countries are being processed by the London office, how come estimated processing times differ per country? If anyone knows how this works, would appreciate your insight into this as I have tried asking local VAC and an immigration lawyer at my university, but no one appears to know for sure (frustrating isn't it!)

Therefore would like to connect with other closed work permit applicants from countries applications from which are being processed in London Visa Office:
Has anyone got applications approved or updates of any sort during covid?
Any information you have or experience during this past 6 months (covid) would be greatly appreciated.

vsmkrm298

Star Member
Jul 6, 2020
USA
Category........
CEC
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
Hi there, hoping to connect with other applicants from Scandinavia (Finland, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Iceland) or other countries belonging to London Visa Office (Netherlands, UK, Ireland).

About my application:
I have applied for an LMIA exempt closed work permit (NOC 4011) on July 8 (online application.
Submitted biometrics on July 10 (from Finland).
Application shows currently (and since July 8) as "processing background check" which makes me think they have not yet started processing it.
We (the university I will be employed by) tried to expedite the process by submitting a letter requesting urgent processing (under normal circumstances I believe I would be eligible for the 2 week processing under GSS), but this request failed to go through as they did not see me as performing essential services from the POV of covid-19.
My contract starts Sept 1 but it is unlikely that I will make it to Canada on time for that start date (which is upsetting but my understanding is many others are in the same situation as I am).

According to IRCC website, application times for Finland (other countries including Sweden, Norway, Denmark, are and have been in the same boat though) have moved from 10 weeks on July 8 (at the time I submitted the application) to the current 18 weeks (i.e. an increase of 1 week every week). This is very confusing to me. Estimated processing times for the Netherlands is 4 weeks, UK 6 weeks and Ireland 12 weeks.
If all these countries are being processed by the London office, how come estimated processing times differ per country? If anyone knows how this works, would appreciate your insight into this as I have tried asking local VAC and an immigration lawyer at my university, but no one appears to know for sure (frustrating isn't it!)

Therefore would like to connect with other closed work permit applicants from countries applications from which are being processed in London Visa Office:
Has anyone got applications approved or updates of any sort during covid?
Any information you have or experience during this past 6 months (covid) would be greatly appreciated.
My friend also applied for same work permit (LMIA exempt for a postdoc position) from Sweden. He applied in the early June and as per him, there is no update on his application either i.e., it still shows "processing background check". How do you know the request to expedite processing failed to go? I also don't know about how these processing times work. You can perhaps do as mentioned in this post. But don't know if it works.

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/processing-time-for-ict-work-permit.541098/post-8795423

Alisa-Fin

Aug 27, 2020
Category........
WP
My friend also applied for same work permit (LMIA exempt for a postdoc position) from Sweden. He applied in the early June and as per him, there is no update on his application either i.e., it still shows "processing background check". How do you know the request to expedite processing failed to go? I also don't know about how these processing times work. You can perhaps do as mentioned in this post. But don't know if it works.

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/processing-time-for-ict-work-permit.541098/post-8795423
Hi there. Oh damn, that is frustrating to hear your friend is still waiting as well!
The immigration lawyer contacted their colleague at IRCC who told us that our request failed because we couldn't show that my work would be essential in nature (i.e. covid related).
I actually saw that post and tried to ask the lawyer for a possibility for a second letter, but they told me it is pointless, as the decision depends on the officer at the IRCC location and I suppose, in London office, they did not approve our request....
Please keep me posted on the process of your friend's application, I will do the same in case I hear updates.

vsmkrm298

Star Member
Jul 6, 2020
USA
Category........
CEC
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
Hi there. Oh damn, that is frustrating to hear your friend is still waiting as well!
The immigration lawyer contacted their colleague at IRCC who told us that our request failed because we couldn't show that my work would be essential in nature (i.e. covid related).
I actually saw that post and tried to ask the lawyer for a possibility for a second letter, but they told me it is pointless, as the decision depends on the officer at the IRCC location and I suppose, in London office, they did not approve our request....
Please keep me posted on the process of your friend's application, I will do the same in case I hear updates.
Sure, I will

tusan

Aug 28, 2020
Hello,

I'm in the same situation (LMIA exempt, postdoc, starts on Sept 1st) and I submitted my application on May 18th from Belgium.

I submitted a supporting letter from my university 10 days ago and yesterday they answered me that I will not get any priority, and my application will be reviewed "as soon as possible", well.

We can share each other's timeline through this sheet https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1UPtsJJwG55dA77m--JcgNEPFuDq4NIuaTHqXQ8QnXYI/edit#gid=0
The estimated processing time is not reliable during this period.

If you wanna chat a bit about our situation and keep each other informed, you can find me on whatsapp +32 489 55 1720

San

Alisa-Fin

Aug 27, 2020
Category........
WP
Hello,

I'm in the same situation (LMIA exempt, postdoc, starts on Sept 1st) and I submitted my application on May 18th from Belgium.

I submitted a supporting letter from my university 10 days ago and yesterday they answered me that I will not get any priority, and my application will be reviewed "as soon as possible", well.

We can share each other's timeline through this sheet https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1UPtsJJwG55dA77m--JcgNEPFuDq4NIuaTHqXQ8QnXYI/edit#gid=0

If you wanna chat a bit about our situation and keep each other informed, you can find me on whatsapp +32 489 55 1720

San
Hi there, sorry to hear you are stuck in this limbo as well, so frustrating!
I think applications from Belgium are processed in Paris office, but maybe there are delays all over due to covid.
Have you been following the estimated processing times for your country? I have followed mine every week since end of June, and it is confusing me because from end of June (10 weeks estimated processing time from Finland) this estimate has moved up by 1 week every week (so this week they updated it and now it says 18 weeks). I have waited 7 weeks now so would have 11 weeks left. But last week I had waited 6 weeks and estimated time to process showed 17 weeks, so last week I though I would have 11 weeks max left. And this week, again 11 weeks left? So it makes me think they are not processing any applications at all?

tusan

Aug 28, 2020
Hi there, sorry to hear you are stuck in this limbo as well, so frustrating!
I think applications from Belgium are processed in Paris office, but maybe there are delays all over due to covid.
Have you been following the estimated processing times for your country? I have followed mine every week since end of June, and it is confusing me because from end of June (10 weeks estimated processing time from Finland) this estimate has moved up by 1 week every week (so this week they updated it and now it says 18 weeks). I have waited 7 weeks now so would have 11 weeks left. But last week I had waited 6 weeks and estimated time to process showed 17 weeks, so last week I though I would have 11 weeks max left. And this week, again 11 weeks left? So it makes me think they are not processing any applications at all?
Well, don't rely on the estimate processing time, it's not correct anymore, everywhere. You can take a look at the excel sheet. And yes, they keep increasing it every week, every where. In Belgium it's 22 weeks now, it was 20 weeks 2 weeks ago. I believe the applications are also processed by the IRCC in Canada, so if there's a delay there, there's delay everywhere.

Alisa-Fin

Aug 27, 2020
Category........
WP
Hello,

San
Hi, any news on your application? I am still in the same spot waiting to hear back from IRCC. Cheers

vsmkrm298

Star Member
Jul 6, 2020
USA
Category........
CEC
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
Nope. Nevertheless, he started working for his Canadian advisor as Canadian university might pay him. But the university people still aren't sure if it works. He said he also submitted a letter to expedite processing but nothing happened. I am also waiting for my work-permit to be approved but I applied from US with similar timelines. Just like my friend, I will also start working for the Canadian professor but from mid September or so.

Alisa-Fin

Aug 27, 2020
Category........
WP
Nope. Nevertheless, he started working for his Canadian advisor as Canadian university might pay him. But the university people still aren't sure if it works. He said he also submitted a letter to expedite processing but nothing happened. I am also waiting for my work-permit to be approved but I applied from US with similar timelines. Just like my friend, I will also start working for the Canadian professor but from mid September or so.
Do you know what his field of research is? And what is yours if you dont mind me asking. Just trying to figure out if that might be the reason the urgent request failed?

vsmkrm298

Star Member
Jul 6, 2020
USA
Category........
CEC
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
Do you know what his field of research is? And what is yours if you dont mind me asking. Just trying to figure out if that might be the reason the urgent request failed?
It is on active matter. Not related to covid.

vsmkrm298

Star Member
Jul 6, 2020
USA
Category........
CEC
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
O

h okay, and he wasnt trying to say that it was essential for him to be in Canada either?
No, he and I mentioned that it is essential for us to be in Canada cause the research is highly awarded and we also need to mentor few PhD students. So, I guess it is not that much of a compelling reason to be in Canada.

Just seems a bit stupid though cause I have worked my ass off to get this PhD done in one of the top 10 universities (in the US) but now caught up in this stupid logistics part. If only this world could be little bit easier.

Alisa-Fin

Aug 27, 2020
Category........
WP
No, he and I mentioned that it is essential for us to be in Canada cause the research is highly awarded and we also need to mentor few PhD students. So, I guess it is not that much of a compelling reason to be in Canada.

Just seems a bit stupid though cause I have worked my ass off to get this PhD done in one of the top 10 universities (in the US) but now caught up in this stupid logistics part. If only this world could be little bit easier.
Agreed. I too did my PhD internationally and been actually planning for this postdoc for over a year. So it is very irritating that something like this ends up being the determining obstacle in getting in the country.