+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work Permit for US citizen

jjchwie2

Aug 15, 2013
Hello,
I immigrated to Toronto, Ontario from Florida, USA to be with my girlfriend/partner and start my own life here too. My girlfriend has been living and working via the program International Experience Canada here at least 5 months and is about to get her LMO. We have been together a year. Is it possible for me to apply for and obtain my own work permit at the Canada border point-of-entry if I bring her with me and since she has her work permit (& will get her LMO soon)?
I've been looking for work but many employers are hesitant to hire a foreign worker (and are surprised US citizens need a work permit since we are neighbors) since it can take up to 3 months to get the LMO processed and be able to officially start working. I love this country and would like to stay in Canada and work legally. Is there any way I can get a work permit via my girlfriend like this or an open work permit?
Many Thanks!

marsiangal

Feb 15, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Request
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
25-02-2013 DM....:20-06-2013 IN CANADA SINCE:...2008
LANDED..........
21-08-2013
Depending on what permit she has, I think if it is a skilled permit she can get you a spousal/partner open work permit. If you can prove that you are actually in a common law relationship.

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
jjchwie2 said:
Hello,
I immigrated to Toronto, Ontario from Florida, USA to be with my girlfriend/partner and start my own life here too. My girlfriend has been living and working via the program International Experience Canada here at least 5 months and is about to get her LMO. We have been together a year. Is it possible for me to apply for and obtain my own work permit at the Canada border point-of-entry if I bring her with me and since she has her work permit (& will get her LMO soon)?
I've been looking for work but many employers are hesitant to hire a foreign worker (and are surprised US citizens need a work permit since we are neighbors) since it can take up to 3 months to get the LMO processed and be able to officially start working. I love this country and would like to stay in Canada and work legally. Is there any way I can get a work permit via my girlfriend like this or an open work permit?
Many Thanks!
Your girlfriend will need a job with a NOC code A, B, or 0. The code will be on her LMO.

NOC codes are 4 digits long. "0" NOC codes begin with a 0. A = X1XXX. B = X2XX

If her job falls into one of those category, you may qualify for a spousal open work permit. You will need a copy of her work permit and her job letter, detailing her duties so they fall under the correct NOC. If she's about to get a new WP and a LMO, it would probably be better to wait, because her current WP must have at least 6 months left for you to get a WP.

You will also need proof of your common-law status. It needs to be a full 12 month, not even 1 day short. Items such as a rental lease in both of your names will help greatly. If either of you has filed taxes as common-law, you can take a copy of your tax return as well. (If you're in Canada over 180 days, you're a resident for tax purposes, not matter what your status.) You can also get a statue declaration signed and notarized. Other items, such as bank statements sent to your common address work too, if you have them going back that far.