+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work permit for refugee claimant

Jesuscv26

Aug 21, 2018
Hello,

I have just been accepted as refugee claimant in Canada, and I'd like to get a work permit to support myself until the day of my hearing.

On the work permit checklist, one of the requirments for refugee claimants is to proof that I cannot support myself without recourse to social assistance. I don't want to rely on the gouvernment to cover my expenses so, is there any other document I could use to proof that I need to work?.

Thank you in advance.

Yelsew

Star Member
Apr 24, 2013
London, ON
Normally, or at least with the refugee claimants I have helped to apply for open work permits, they are already receiving provincial social assistance and use this as proof. But the guide prefaces this type of proof by saying "for example", which implies there could be other ways of proving, and yet it doesn't give any other examples of how to do this. Possibly bank statements showing no deposits over a period of time, although that alone probably wouldn't be enough. You have raised a good question, and I commend you for not wanting to rely on government assistance, but it almost seems that the government requires you to be receiving such assistance before you can apply for a work permit. It is worth calling 888 242 2100 (client support centre number), or perhaps someone else here can provide an answer.

Jesuscv26

Aug 21, 2018
Normally, or at least with the refugee claimants I have helped to apply for open work permits, they are already receiving provincial social assistance and use this as proof. But the guide prefaces this type of proof by saying "for example", which implies there could be other ways of proving, and yet it doesn't give any other examples of how to do this. Possibly bank statements showing no deposits over a period of time, although that alone probably wouldn't be enough. You have raised a good question, and I commend you for not wanting to rely on government assistance, but it almost seems that the government requires you to be receiving such assistance before you can apply for a work permit. It is worth calling 888 242 2100 (client support centre number), or perhaps someone else here can provide an answer.
Thank you for your prompt reply.

Yesterday I had the opportunity to talk to an immigration lawyer. The lawyer told me that I could use a bank account statement along with a short explanation letter about my financial situation (letter that the lawyer will write for me) to proof that I need a job. He also said that if I am being assisted with my expenses, it is helpful the assistant providing me with a letter stating his/her support.

I hope this is helpful to anyone in this situation.

Reactions: Yelsew

prvn31

Aug 24, 2018
hi..would you please tell me details of a your immigration lawyer...iam looking for a good ,senior advocate to do my immigration process