+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work permit for foreigner on post-doctoral position

cherrywyng

Nov 24, 2014
Dear all,

I have some questions regarding my application for work permit in Canada. I am a British citizen currently living in Germany and I am going to move to UBC in Vancouver for a 2 to 3 years post-doctoral research position. As I understand I need a work permit. I have filled in some forms on the Canada immigration website. Here are my questions:

1) The immigration form I am filling in is (Application for Work Permit Made Outside of Canada (IMM1295)). Is that the correct form?

2) Depending on my answer to some further questions, different documents are required. One question that I have doubt is:
"What type of work permit do you want to apply for?"

I think I should select "Academic exchange, research or training". Another option that could fit is "post-graduation work". But as I understand that is only if you already studied and graduated from a Canadian university. So it is not right for me?

3) If I am right about choosing "Academic exchange, research or training", then a list of supporting documents are required as listed below. Does it sound right to you? The documents in green are those I already have, and in blue are those I should ask my current German employer.

The trouble is with the documents highlighted red. The HR of the department that I will be joining at UBC assured me that normally his post-doc hires do not need all these documents, because even though post-doc is a paid employment, it is considered some kind of "training". He believes that I should only need the "offer letter" and at most the "employer declaration" from UBC, and he cannot provide me with the documents highlighted red. Hence I am now stuck, I do not know why these documents highlighted red are required in my application, and I do not know how else to get hold of them if not possible from UBC.

Education Diplomas/Degrees
Passport or travel document
Digital Photo
Offer of Employment
CV/Resume
Proof that you Meet the Requirements of the Job Being Offered
Letter from Current Employer
Research Proposal
Employment Reference Letter
Employer Questionnaire and Declaration
Invitation Letter

Does any one know if I am filling in the correct form? Are these supporting documents normally required? Perhaps someone from Europe recently moved to Canada for a post-doc can give me some hints?

Thank you very much in advance!

Cherry

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Post your question to the Foreign Workers section of the forum.