+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

work permit extension

darxider

Star Member
Aug 9, 2013
Hi,

I'm going to apply to extend my work permit. I have a question regarding one of the questions CIC asks online:

Have you submitted a permanent resident application in Canada?
No
I am currently on a work permit, and last month, my partner (who is Canadian) and I submitted an application for permanent residency for me through the family sponsorship program. We submitted the application as an outland application to be processed at a visa office outside Canada (i.e., not inland, which is processed entirely within Canada).

Now my question, regarding the quote above, is this: Do I have to answer 'No' as I have shown above (assuming that "in Canada" in that question actually refers to submitting an application from within Canada to be processed completely inside Canada? Or do I have to answer 'Yes' just because I have applied for permanent residency (regardless of whether it's an inland or outland application?).

Thank you :)

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Correct - you should answer "No".

zemphir

Jun 28, 2014
I'm not sure if this is the right thread for my question but if anyone can help I'd appreciate it!

I applied for SOWP and got approved; my open work permit will expire in October 2015. I recently got a new passport and would like to extend my work permit however I am confused by the form IMM5710E where on top it gives 4 options:
3) I am applying for one or more of the following
a) A work permit with the same employer
b) An initial work permit or a work permit with a new employer
c) Restoration of your status as a worker
d) Temporary Resident Permit

Which option is the right one? It seems like none of them really apply because I just want to extend my OPEN work permit. Saying I am applying for a work permit with the same employer is confusing because it's an Open work permit which means I am allowed to work with any employer I choose.

MartinTin

Jul 15, 2015
Hi Zemphir,

Just got the same issue. I called the CIC and talked with an agent who said that if I responded with b) An initial work permit or a work permit with a new employer, it would be perfectly fine for the OWP extension. So go with that one :)

Best

zemphir

Jun 28, 2014
MartinTin said:
Hi Zemphir,

Just got the same issue. I called the CIC and talked with an agent who said that if I responded with b) An initial work permit or a work permit with a new employer, it would be perfectly fine for the OWP extension. So go with that one :)

Best
Oh great, I will select that answer then. Thanks!
Also did they tell you which address to send it to? In the guide there are two options:

1) Note: an “extension” is when you are submitting an application for the same employer with whom you currently hold a valid work permit
Send your application to:
Citizenship and Immigration - Work Permit
CPC-Vegreville
6212 - 55th Avenue, Unit 202
Vegreville, AB
T9C 1X6

2) Note: a “new employer” is any employer with whom you do not currently have a valid work permit
Send your application to:
Citizenship and Immigration - Work Permit
CPC-Vegreville
6212 - 55th Avenue, Unit 555
Vegreville, AB
T9C 1X6

p.s.
Thanks for all your help. I generally have no luck speaking with the call center agents. They just tell me to look online for answers

MartinTin

Jul 15, 2015
Sorry, can't help you with that as I applied online from within Canada. Can't you apply online? It's quite easy, just check the CIC web page, the eligibility test will tell you if you can do it this way.