+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work Permit Extension Refusal

Starstunned

Nov 1, 2017
Hi! I would like to inquire my case in my work permit extension. My previous work permit expiry is based on my may passport expiry date. It is also mentioned in my wp remarks that passport must be renewed for further extension. My work permit was issued last july 28,2016 and it will expire on January 2,2018. I applied for the wp extension last Sept.5,2017 and now I received a refusal letter for my wp extension application. It stated that it was refused because I dont have a valid LMIA. Do I need to ask my employer to apply a new lmia again just to continue my work permit? I have also pending pr application in express entry. I was also considering to apply open work permit instead applying of wp extension. Can you help me to decide what is the best thing to do? Thank you so much.

aiindrea

Nov 2, 2017
Hi! I would like to inquire my case in my work permit extension. My previous work permit expiry is based on my may passport expiry date. It is also mentioned in my wp remarks that passport must be renewed for further extension. My work permit was issued last july 28,2016 and it will expire on January 2,2018. I applied for the wp extension last Sept.5,2017 and now I received a refusal letter for my wp extension application. It stated that it was refused because I dont have a valid LMIA. Do I need to ask my employer to apply a new lmia again just to continue my work permit? I have also pending pr application in express entry. I was also considering to apply open work permit instead applying of wp extension. Can you help me to decide what is the best thing to do? Thank you so much.

Hi. are u under old or new pathway? im just asking because until now, im still waiting for the final decision for my extension. Im a bit worried because they sent me an email that they forwarded my application to etobicoke. Do u have any idea why? Please advice and thank you.

Starstunned

Nov 1, 2017
I am still under the old pathway. I called CIC earlier this morning, the officer told me that I should provide new lmia for the extension even though the remarks in my old wp noted that passport renewal is needed for further extensions. I have EE application and the officer said to apply open work permit instead. Regarding your case, I have no idea why they forwarded it to etobicoke. I’m sorry I can’t give you any advice regarding that.

aiindrea

Nov 2, 2017
I am still under the old pathway. I called CIC earlier this morning, the officer told me that I should provide new lmia for the extension even though the remarks in my old wp noted that passport renewal is needed for further extensions. I have EE application and the officer said to apply open work permit instead. Regarding your case, I have no idea why they forwarded it to etobicoke. I’m sorry I can’t give you any advice regarding that.
I appreciate your reply. Thank you :) Uhm, when are u gonna complete your 24 months? as far as i know, when you’re under old pathway, you dont need new LMIA to apply for an extension, right?

Leah12

Apr 22, 2018
Hi! I would like to ask a question regarding my case. I applied for a work permit extension last dec because my old one expires on the 23th of feb 2018 but what i recieved last april 8, 2018 was a refusal letter instead.
The letter says i dont posses a valid LMIA. What should i do? Does my employer need to apply for another LMIA. If so, can i meet the deadline since the LMIA proccessing is about 4 to 6 mos and i am only given 90 days to restore my status. Im worried. Hope you can help me

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Hi! I would like to ask a question regarding my case. I applied for a work permit extension last dec because my old one expires on the 23th of feb 2018 but what i recieved last april 8, 2018 was a refusal letter instead.
The letter says i dont posses a valid LMIA. What should i do? Does my employer need to apply for another LMIA. If so, can i meet the deadline since the LMIA proccessing is about 4 to 6 mos and i am only given 90 days to restore my status. Im worried. Hope you can help me
For an extension, you need a new LMIA. Restore your status as a visitor and immediately stop working as your work permit expired and you are no longer covered by "implied status". Any further working would be illegal. Any work that has been done since your extension was refused is already illegal. Don't start again until you are in possession of a new work permit.

owokay

Apr 23, 2018
What type of work permit did you apply for initially?

Leah12

Apr 22, 2018
For an extension, you need a new LMIA. Restore your status as a visitor and immediately stop working as your work permit expired and you are no longer covered by "implied status". Any further working would be illegal. Any work that has been done since your extension was refused is already illegal. Don't start again until you are in possession of a new work permit.

Thank you very much..if i will be granted on the visitors permit how long will it take...do they give us 6 mos vsitors visa or less month

Jan 24, 2020
Hi,
<I am travelling out of Canada from Feb 11 to Mar 12 2020, as per IRCC I should apply for work permit extension after Mar 12>
This is my case: <sorry it is too long to read>
I entered canada on March 22nd 2019 and got the work permit only till June 10,2020 because of my passport validity. And I will be completing one year of canadian experience in March 2020 and my CRS will be 480 in March 2020. My odds are high to get the ITA in March. So I will be submitting eAPR hopefully in April 2020.
As per my research so far below are the three paths I had (before reading this post).
1. Apply for work permit extension without new LMIA as my work permit was provided for lesser duration though I was eligible for 2 years because of my passport expiry. But after reading this post, this does not seem to be a good option as all your cases were rejected without having valid LMIA (From the officer point of view, I guess we should have valid LMIA (each LMIA is valid only for 6 months) at the time of submitting our extension whatever may be the reason for extension (even it is for passport expiry reason)). Please confirm.
2. Apply for work permit extension with LMIA. Seems to be good option it seems as per this post but I have few more queries related to this below.
3. Submit eAPR and apply for bridging work permit. Seems to be a risky option as I may loose the points for LMIA by the time my application is taken for eligibility analysis. Please confirm.

1. What will happen if my work permit gets rejected after June 10 , 2020 ?? Should I leave the country immediately as I will not be having valid TRV.
Share me your inputs for both the scenarios: I have submitted my eAPR and I have not submitted eAPR.
2. What happened to you all and how your cases were resolved, as I don't see any latest update from you in the post ??
2. You guys did all your process yourself or hired any immigration consultant ?? What would your suggest for my case.