+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work permit extension received while waiting for PR

Jess44

Mar 20, 2023
Hello, My husband and I applied for Spousal Sponsorship, Family Class in Canada and also for Work permit extension because my husbands' previous work permit expired last year. We applied online for the Sponsorship in the beginning of December last year, 2022, and for the work permit extension a week after by paper and sent it by mail (all of this was advised by a friend that works in an immigration office). My husband and I live together as a married couple in Canada when we applied. Recently we received a letter (by email) that the permanent residence application is currently in process. When checking application status in profile account, my husband received new information about Confirmation for Permanent Residence (COPR) the information- the document number, expiry date (early fall this year, 2023), Travel document number (my husbands' passport number) and Issuing country. He didn't receive the official online or paper COPR yet though. There is also new information-document number and expiry date (also early fall this year, 2023) for his medical exam in the profile account, which appeared soon after the COPR information. After we received a letter (by email) about pre-arrival services. I would like to know why this letter was sent even though my husband is living in Canada when we applied?

A few days later we received a letter (by email) about the Work permit extension, that the application to remain in Canada as a temporary resident has been approved and that the document will be mailed within 6 weeks. It shows the type of work permit (Work permit extension) validity (March 2025) and document number.
All of these letters that we have received have my husbands' same Unique Client Identifier (UCI) number. I would like to know if the work permit will only be valid until my husband receives his PR card?
Was it right to apply for Spousal Sponsorship and work permit extension at the same time?