+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work Permit Extension in Process, Expired SIN number. Can I legally Work?

a_khan

Jun 19, 2012
Hello All,

Please help me with my situation.

I studied from Canada and then applied for PGWK and got the work permit until the passport expires. I suppose to get 3 years of work permit but as my passport was getting, so they issued me the permit till that date.

I sent my application for renewing of extending of my work permit in Oct 2015. My SIN got expired on the same day as my work permit expires, means Work permit and SIN expired on 25th October 2015.

Unfortunately, in October 2015 I got laid off from work due to the slow sales and economy etc.

In January I got the job in the new company, and cleared multiple interviews and finally got the job. The HR were under impression that I have a PR. But now when they asked me to provide some information so they can put me in their health benefits and record. I provided my SIN Number.

Yesterday, they called me and said, we need to change your contract because we provide health benefits to only PR employees as our Insurance partner have contract to provide benefits to PR holders. We are going to change the contract which has no benefits (Health, RRSP etc) and unpaid holidays, no sick pay).

Then they said, bring a copy of your SIN number and Work permit, and if your SIN number is expired, then your job will be done.

According to CIC, I can work as long as my extension of work permit is in the process, which means legally I can work for the company without any problem.

However, as I said earlier my SIN is expired, and it can only be renew once my work permit extension arrives.

I need your help in regards of SIN number, and if you know anything please message me, I would highly appreciate your efforts.

Am I eligible to work on expired SIN? again, if I can work while my extension in process then how come I cannot work if my SIN is expired?

I am little confused. Your suggestions will be huge help for me.

Thanks!

A

marjana.ukr

Star Member
Oct 5, 2015
As soon as I realized that due to the long processing times I would be on implied status for a while - I personally went to Service Canada office asked this question:can I work and pay taxes if my SIN expired and I am waiting for a work permit extension. They said YES. Right now I an on implied status, my work permit expired in December, I applied for extension in September. I continue working for the same employer. Your situation is different because you changed jobs. I would recommend you calling Service Canada too.

roman_emperor08

Apr 18, 2013
marjana.ukr said:
As soon as I realized that due to the long processing times I would be on implied status for a while - I personally went to Service Canada office asked this question:can I work and pay taxes if my SIN expired and I am waiting for a work permit extension. They said YES. Right now I an on implied status, my work permit expired in December, I applied for extension in September. I continue working for the same employer. Your situation is different because you changed jobs. I would recommend you calling Service Canada too.
hi i applied wp extension last sept 13, have your rcvd your wp extension approval?

a_khan

Jun 19, 2012
@Roman
No I have not received the WP extensions approval yet, I have checked CIC website and also talked with CIC agent, and both of them were saying that September 4th or 13th is in the process stage, will take 3-4 weeks for me, as I applied in October 1st week.

@Marjana
Thanks for the reply, my case is quite similar to you, but as you said that you were having the same job, whereas I got the new job. So, do you think, I need to go to the Service Canada office and sort out this issue?

marjana.ukr

Star Member
Oct 5, 2015
a_khan said:
@Roman
No I have not received the WP extensions approval yet, I have checked CIC website and also talked with CIC agent, and both of them were saying that September 4th or 13th is in the process stage, will take 3-4 weeks for me, as I applied in October 1st week.

@Marjana
Thanks for the reply, my case is quite similar to you, but as you said that you were having the same job, whereas I got the new job. So, do you think, I need to go to the Service Canada office and sort out this issue?
You can even call them in order to save time. I tend to overreact and panic, so I decided to walk into the office and ask a person directly. It just made me feel relieved. Try calling first and see how helpful they are for you. Definitely worth a try.

marjana.ukr

Star Member
Oct 5, 2015
roman_emperor08 said:
hi i applied wp extension last sept 13, have your rcvd your wp extension approval?
I applied on September 4, online, same employer. Heard nothing from them. No updates in my profile. I am very frustrated and angry. If I don't get my extension soon - I won't be able to apply for PR.

luckychamp

Dec 29, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
NOC Code......
Master Stream Program
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-09-2015
Doc's Request.
Submitted along with application
Nomination.....
14-08-2015
AOR Received.
18-12-2015
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
30-06-2016
Med's Done....
08-07-2016
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
23-12-2016
VISA ISSUED...
21-01-2107
LANDED..........
27-01-2017
marjana.ukr said:
Thanks for the info....I am also on the same boat guys.....implied status

luckychamp

Dec 29, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
NOC Code......
Master Stream Program
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-09-2015
Doc's Request.
Submitted along with application
Nomination.....
14-08-2015
AOR Received.
18-12-2015
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
30-06-2016
Med's Done....
08-07-2016
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
23-12-2016
VISA ISSUED...
21-01-2107
LANDED..........
27-01-2017
Good Luck guys !

a_khan

Jun 19, 2012
@Marjana
When you went to Service Canada did they provide you any letter which stated that you can work while WP is in the process or something that says about expired SIN can allow you to work etc?

Yes I have extended my health insurance, but it last long only for 90 days, so I am not sure if the health insurance is still waiting or not. I am not worried about the insurance stuff.

@luckychamp
Good luck to you too mate.

Blessing1

Star Member
Jul 26, 2015
AB
Category........
Visa Office......
Inland.....CIO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-09-2014
Doc's Request.
Upfront
Nomination.....
28-07-2015
AOR Received.
03-12-2015
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
Passed
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
20-12-2016
VISA ISSUED...
5 Jan, 2016
LANDED..........
15 Jan, 2016.
What docs did you need to extend your health insurance for 90 days? Regards

marjana.ukr

Star Member
Oct 5, 2015
A_klan,

No, they did not provide anything. And to be honest I haven't even thought of that. May be they would've if I asked.

Blessing1

Star Member
Jul 26, 2015
AB
Category........
Visa Office......
Inland.....CIO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-09-2014
Doc's Request.
Upfront
Nomination.....
28-07-2015
AOR Received.
03-12-2015
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
Passed
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
20-12-2016
VISA ISSUED...
5 Jan, 2016
LANDED..........
15 Jan, 2016.
I am in Alberta. They usually ask for the work permit so wondering how that can be done on implied status. Thanks for the reply

marjana.ukr

Star Member
Oct 5, 2015
Well I sent a copy of the confirmation letter that I received after I applied for an extension and a cover letter in which I explained my situation. In 4 weeks they sent me a new care card for 3 months and a letter notifying that I have to provide a copy of my extended work permit when I receive it as a proof that I maintained my status. I think that if one province has such policy - the others must have something similar. Look into it.