+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work permit extension during waiting for PR result

Lavenderyyt

Mar 29, 2011
Hi, There

My work permit extension just got refused. I am holding a Post-Graduate work permit and I wanted to extend it when I am waiting for the feedback from my Permanent Resident Application. I applied for the inland application and the Vegreville Office recieved my PR application on Feb 24th. However, I did not send my work permit extension together with my PR because I was hoping to renew it as soon as possible. I am wondering if I should send another application that indicate I just got married and willing to keep working when I am waiting for the feedback of my PR application. As my current work permit will expire on April 30th, 2011, should i apply for a visitor visa at the same time? How can I let them connect my work permit extension with my PR application together even though I did not send it out together?

I will be really appreicate if someone can give some suggestions. Thank you so much.

adzees

Sep 2, 2010
Edmonton, AB
App. Filed.......
Oct 2011
Doc's Request.
July 2015
Nomination.....
October 2015
AOR Received.
February 2016
File Transfer...
July 2016
Med's Request
July 2016
Med's Done....
August 2016
Do you already have the first stage approval or not? If not then all you can do is to apply for stay as a visitor. In order to renew/get a work permit you need to have first stage approval if you have applied as permanent residence applicant under spouse In-Canada class.

Also now you cannot send your work permit application separately. You have to wait till you get your first stage approval. Currently it is taking around 9-10 months. Only after then you can apply for work permit. I am sorry but after April 2011 you won't be able to work unless you get your employer to arrange LMO i.e. Labor Market Opinion for you.

RobsLuv

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2008
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Original:14Mar2007; Reprocess began after appeal:26Apr2010
Doc's Request.
Original:9May'07; Reprocess:7May'10
AOR Received.
Original:28Apr'07; Reprocess:26Apr'10
File Transfer...
n/a
Med's Request
Reprocessing:7May2010
Med's Done....
Jun2010
Interview........
n/a
Passport Req..
30Nov2010!!
VISA ISSUED...
31Dec2010!!
LANDED..........
31Jan2011
That's not correct! It would be true if the PR application submitted was an outland ap - but this one is inland, and according to Section 186(u) of the IRPA Regulations, someone who submits a application to extend a work permit in conjunction with an inland PR application so that it's received before the WP expires is able to continue working under the terms of the original permit, regardless of the expiry date, until the first stage of assessment is completed on the PR application and new status is issued. (See below) Because you submitted the applications separately, CPC-Vegreville had no way of knowing that you even had an inland PR submitted. It will not be looked at until sometime around the first of the new year. Since your work permit still hasn't expired, you can try to submit another extension application for an Open Work Permit (you'll have to pay another fee). Track the mailing and get delivery confirmation that proves the extension was submitted before this permit expires - and write across the top of the application "INLAND SPOUSAL PR APPLICATION SUBMITTED - DO NOT PROCESS UNTIL FIRST STAGE APPROVAL" It will help immensely if you can also include tracking information for the inland application to show them that it has already been received, and when - because that will help them "match" them up.

My only question is whether you are permitted to apply again to extend your WP (since it's still valid), even though the first extension was refused. I think that you can, but I'm not sure - so if rjessome (who is a Certified Canadian Immigration Consultant) doesn't see this and answer, PM her to find out for sure. I think you should be able to - based on Part II of the inland applicant's guide about maintaining status. It gives you the option to apply to extend your work, study or visitor permits separately from the inland PR ap - as long as you apply prior to expiration. It's not your fault that they couldn't "match" your WP extension with your PR ap, and if they offer that option and then make a mistake of refusing it because they don't know you have an inland ap in process, you should be able to apply again . . . especially considering the fact that the WP is still valid. If you can, you do that and then you are able to continue working under the terms of this work permit - only for the same employer in the same job - until they complete the first stage of assessment of your PR ap sometime around the end of this year. When that's done, they will automatically issue you an open work permit that allows you to go to work for any employer in any position.

R186(u): A foreign national may work in Canada without a work permit until a decision is made on an application made by them under subsection 201(1), if they have remained in Canada after the expiry of their work permit and they have continued to comply with the conditions set out on the expired work permit, other than the expiry date.

201(1) A foreign national may apply for the renewal of their work permit if
(a) the application is made before their work permit expires; and
(b) they have complied with all conditions imposed on their entry into Canada.

With the extension application attached to an inland spousal application, the decision on the extension is suspended until the applicant has been assessed as an eligible spousal applicant with an eligible sponsor. This is what happens at first stage approval - which currently happens 9-10 months after submission of the inland PR ap. If this works right, you won't hear (and shouldn't) anything about either the PR ap or the extension application prior to first stage approval. So, as unsettling as it is, if this goes well, you actually won't get any answer on the work permit extension - and that's good news. Unless you receive another refusal, you're fine to continue working (pursuant to 186(u)) beyond the expiration date of your WP . . . unless rjessome says otherwise.

suenim

Apr 29, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
May 2010
Med's Done....
April 2010
Interview........
NONE
LANDED..........
April 2011
As far as I know PGWP cannot be extended. So the OP can just hope if they send another OWP app and hope it gets matched up to the inland app they sent and will get it when they get AIP. If the OWP was sent with the app then they can continue on the current one on implied status until AIP.

adzees

Sep 2, 2010
Edmonton, AB
App. Filed.......
Oct 2011
Doc's Request.
July 2015
Nomination.....
October 2015
AOR Received.
February 2016
File Transfer...
July 2016
Med's Request
July 2016
Med's Done....
August 2016
Yes he can only work under implied status for the same employer. And what i have heard is that they no longer match the work permit application with Permanent resident application.

Lavenderyyt

Mar 29, 2011
Thank you all for your information. Hi, Robsluv. I am wondering how I can contact with rjessome. I'm new in the website, could you tell me please?

Thanks a lot!

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Lavenderyyt said:
Thank you all for your information. Hi, Robsluv. I am wondering how I can contact with rjessome. I'm new in the website, could you tell me please?

Thanks a lot!
Hi,

What you should have done was send the WP extension WITH the Inland application. Then you could have remained working on implied status. Technically, you are not supposed to be able to do that as you cannot extend a PGWP. However, it's being done and CIC is turning a blind eye to it since it kind of contradicts itself given the Regs that RobsLuv already posted.

Now you are in a tricky situation. I believe you must now apply for restoration as a visitor because you missed your window of opportunity. Hmmm, would your employer be willing to apply for an LMO for you? No advertising requirements if it's a skill category 0, A or B position. Either way, you have to stop working NOW since you've received a refusal.

Unfortunately, the suggestions of sending the application with the request to NOT assess until AIP is not going to work. CPC Vegreville is processing them as they get them and not matching them up.

PMM might also be able to shed some insight on this too. He really knows his stuff and is much more adept at the inner workings of CIC than I am and may know of a loop hole. I doubt there is one but if anyone knows, he would.

angtao

Apr 30, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-Mar-2011
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2011
LANDED..........
16-05-2012
Guys, I have a question.

If my husband gets approved for an LMO, does he have to go to a port of entry to get his temporary work permit? We have applied inland and if he leaves Canada isin't there always a chance that they will not let him in.

Is this true? Is the only place he can get his temporary work permit outside of Canada at a port of entry?

My husband did come to Canada as a visitor and we just sent off our inland application to Vegreville last week. He does come from a Visa exempt country and he can also go in to the USA with no problems. The question that I have is, is Canada going to let him back in? Do we tell them that we are applying for permanent residency at the border when we cross in? Are they not going to ask us for his return ticket to his country?

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
angtao said:
Guys, I have a question.

If my husband gets approved for an LMO, does he have to go to a port of entry to get his temporary work permit? We have applied inland and if he leaves Canada isin't there always a chance that they will not let him in.

Is this true? Is the only place he can get his temporary work permit outside of Canada at a port of entry?

My husband did come to Canada as a visitor and we just sent off our inland application to Vegreville last week. He does come from a Visa exempt country and he can also go in to the USA with no problems. The question that I have is, is Canada going to let him back in? Do we tell them that we are applying for permanent residency at the border when we cross in? Are they not going to ask us for his return ticket to his country?
Yes, he can only get his WP at the POE.

If your husband is still in status, there should be no problem with him going to the border with an LMO to get a WP. He must answer any question they ask him so if they ask if he has any other applications in process, he must answer them truthfully. He should take a copy of the fees receipt with him. It's doubtful they would ask for a return ticket. Most LMOs issued these days allow 1 year of work. It wouldn't be common to have purchased a ticket to return home a year from now. And, if it is a skill level C or D position, the employer is supposed to pay for travel to return the foreign worker to their country of residence. So no, I don't see that as an impediment.

angtao

Apr 30, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-Mar-2011
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2011
LANDED..........
16-05-2012
rjessome,

Let's say we go to the Niagara/Buffalo border, do we have to go in to the USA and then cross back in to Canada ot get his work permit?

My husband is in status until Oct,2011 but what happens if they do not let him back in Canada?

lorela

Dec 18, 2009
hi rjessome,

I'm just wondering if the extension of work permit and open work permit is the same when you attached to IN PR apllcation and the 186(u) of IRPA regulations applies whether you a contract foreign worker or caregiver.

Thank you

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
angtao said:
rjessome,

Let's say we go to the Niagara/Buffalo border, do we have to go in to the USA and then cross back in to Canada ot get his work permit?

My husband is in status until Oct,2011 but what happens if they do not let him back in Canada?
Yes, you "leave" Canada. If your husband is not visa exempt and does not have a US visa, he will not be able to get his work permit this way. Regarding your other question, WHY wouldn't they let him back in? He's not doing anything illegal. Does he need a visa for Canada? If so, then he had better make sure that it is still valid before he tries this.

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
lorela said:
hi rjessome,

I'm just wondering if the extension of work permit and open work permit is the same when you attached to IN PR apllcation and the 186(u) of IRPA regulations applies whether you a contract foreign worker or caregiver.

Thank you
I'm not 100% sure I understand you completely. In principle, it is the same. You are on implied status either way. However, like when you apply for the OWP as a caregiver, you cannot change jobs during the time on implied status because you do NOT have the new permit yet, which is open. You maintain your old status and if that is tied to an employer, you must stay with that employer. Did I answer your question?

angtao

Apr 30, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-Mar-2011
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2011
LANDED..........
16-05-2012
rjessome,

My husband is from Greece. He can go in to the USA with no problems. He does not need a visa for Canada or the USA.

You know how they say if you apply inland then it is not a good idea to leave Canada because if you leave and come back and they do not let you in then your application becomes null and void. That is what I would be worried about.

I spoke to a co-worker that is doing the exact same thing with getting an LMO and he told me that you just explain at the border what you are doing and they will let you cross and then come back in as they see these things all the time. Plus, you do not actually go in to the USA as there is bridge to cross before you get in to the USA and the bridge is where you turn back around to come in to Canada.

Lavenderyyt

Mar 29, 2011
rjessome said:
Hi,

What you should have done was send the WP extension WITH the Inland application. Then you could have remained working on implied status. Technically, you are not supposed to be able to do that as you cannot extend a PGWP. However, it's being done and CIC is turning a blind eye to it since it kind of contradicts itself given the Regs that RobsLuv already posted.

Now you are in a tricky situation. I believe you must now apply for restoration as a visitor because you missed your window of opportunity. Hmmm, would your employer be willing to apply for an LMO for you? No advertising requirements if it's a skill category 0, A or B position. Either way, you have to stop working NOW since you've received a refusal.

Unfortunately, the suggestions of sending the application with the request to NOT assess until AIP is not going to work. CPC Vegreville is processing them as they get them and not matching them up.

PMM might also be able to shed some insight on this too. He really knows his stuff and is much more adept at the inner workings of CIC than I am and may know of a loop hole. I doubt there is one but if anyone knows, he would.
Hi, rjessome

Thank you so much for your reply. My job is an entry level which is a C level position. There is no way my company could get the LMO for me. I don't believe the position has labor shortage. I will try to contact PMM to see if there is a way for me.

Thanks a lot!