+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work permit extension, date of authorisation to work

article82

Aug 5, 2018
I submitted an application for a work permit extension (inland) in September and as we all know, it is taking a long time to process these. I received a document the next day saying that I was authorised to work until January 18 2022 or until a decision was made on the application, whichever is first. This date is now only two weeks away and apparently there are still plenty of applications from August being processed.

Does anyone have experience of what I should do as this date approaches? The document contains this line: "This extended period of work is authorized as per subsection 186(u) of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations." On checking these regulations, it states nothing (as far as I can see) about a deadline date for working, only that you are allowed to continue working under the same conditions until a decision is made. The document I received is clearly time-limited on this. I'm slightly concerned about my current employment when January 18th arrives, as well as my status as a resident of Canada.

Should I try to contact someone nearer the time? Should I still be eligible to work if in 2 weeks the application has still not been processed? I went through the same procedure one year earlier without this limitation being placed upon my status.

Rijogeo

Jan 5, 2022
I am not sure whether I am right but I think you need to apply again if you want to retain implied status. Because mine got refused after 4 months since I forgot to upload one document and now I am in restoration status where I cannot work.

RahulBhairon

Dec 14, 2021
As much as I know If the date exceeds you can still work as long as the decision is made and you also raise a webform or call cic and they will issue you a new letter with an extended date on it.