Med's Done....
27-11-2015
Interview........
DM 20-04-2016
Passport Req..
exempt
VISA ISSUED...
COPR 02-05-2016
I hope you guys can help me! I've received a ton of guidance when I was completing a family based application. Now, I'm trying to find out information for my friend.

Here's the story:
My friend from Brazil has been in Canada for about 3 years. She went to school here and is currently working. Her work permit is expiring at the end of August. My understanding is that she's here under the Express Entry program. I'm not very familiar with that program and my friend says that she think that she needs to apply for school and get a study/work visa. I'm not sure why cant she just apply for an extension of the existing work permit? Can someone shed some light on that?
My friend is getting married in a few weeks. She will qualify to apply for PR under the family category. However, how do we go about having her stay here, legally, and being able to work pending the PR process (this will take a long time since she's applying inland). I'm pretty sure that the application for work permit with the family based PR application takes a long time. She can't afford not to work and she does not want to lose her job.
Any help/tips would be greatly appreciated!

Scottygirl

Jan 19, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-12-2015
Doc's Request.
23-12-2015
AOR Received.
14-12-2015
Med's Done....
Upfront (passed Dec 15 2015)
Passport Req..
05-05-2016 (sent 06-05-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
12-05-2016
LANDED..........
15-07-2016
canusa13 said:
I hope you guys can help me! I've received a ton of guidance when I was completing a family based application. Now, I'm trying to find out information for my friend.

Here's the story:
My friend from Brazil has been in Canada for about 3 years. She went to school here and is currently working. Her work permit is expiring at the end of August. My understanding is that she's here under the Express Entry program. I'm not very familiar with that program and my friend says that she think that she needs to apply for school and get a study/work visa. I'm not sure why cant she just apply for an extension of the existing work permit? Can someone shed some light on that?
My friend is getting married in a few weeks. She will qualify to apply for PR under the family category. However, how do we go about having her stay here, legally, and being able to work pending the PR process (this will take a long time since she's applying inland). I'm pretty sure that the application for work permit with the family based PR application takes a long time. She can't afford not to work and she does not want to lose her job.
Any help/tips would be greatly appreciated!
If she has applied for PR thro express entry and received an AOR, she should be able to apply for a bridging open work permit (BOWP) - assuming her application has passed the R10 stage (although I have heard of others that applied for a BOWP straight after submitting their PR application).

canusa13

Star Member
Nov 13, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-12-2015
AOR Received.
18-02-2015
File Transfer...
SA: 23-02-2015
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
27-11-2015
Interview........
DM 20-04-2016
Passport Req..
exempt
VISA ISSUED...
COPR 02-05-2016
From what I understand, she didn't apply for PR. She will apply under family category, after they get married.
She only had study/work permit. She went to school (finished last year) and has a job. She'd like to keep working pending her family based PR application.

HoPe90

Nov 19, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
IN LAND
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13/01/2016
Doc's Request.
22/11/2016
Nomination.....
06/12/2016
AOR Received.
19/07/2016
if your friend finished last year, does that mean she only has a one year work permit?

billie424

Nov 10, 2014
Once she gets married and apply for PR.. She will be eligible to work under implied status. Thats the easiest wat for her, to extend her work permit without that, her employer would have apply for LMIA. It will take long but she would be eligible to work legally with a SIN.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
billie424 said:
Once she gets married and apply for PR.. She will be eligible to work under implied status.
Not necessarily. Only if she applies inland and includes an open work permit with the application will she have implied status. If she applies outland, no implied status and no access to a work permit while she waits. The pros of applying inland are that you get implied status and can keep working. The cons are that the process can take well over two years and it's strongly recommended you not leave Canada at all during this time.

OP - you are posting in the wrong section of the forum if you want advice about spousal sponsorship. Move to the Family Sponsorship section of the forum if you want the most complete and accurate advice.

canusa13

Star Member
Nov 13, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-12-2015
AOR Received.
18-02-2015
File Transfer...
SA: 23-02-2015
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
27-11-2015
Interview........
DM 20-04-2016
Passport Req..
exempt
VISA ISSUED...
COPR 02-05-2016
Thanks. I'll do that. I just thought that this forum is better suited to get info regarding work permit.

billie424

Nov 10, 2014
scylla said:
Not necessarily. Only if she applies inland and includes an open work permit with the application will she have implied status. If she applies outland, no implied status and no access to a work permit while she waits. The pros of applying inland are that you get implied status and can keep working. The cons are that the process can take well over two years and it's strongly recommended you not leave Canada at all during this time.

OP - you are posting in the wrong section of the forum if you want advice about spousal sponsorship. Move to the Family Sponsorship section of the forum if you want the most complete and accurate advice.
She has been in Canada for the last three years, she will definitely be eligible to work under implied status.