+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work permit expiring soon.. need some help/advice

kreup

Sep 6, 2018
Hello everyone,

I am planning to apply via EE for permanent residence status. After calculating my score on the CIC website, I received a score of 434, which is only 6 points short of the most recent cutoff. Unfortunately, my post graduation work permit expires August 2019 and I am in desperate need of advice on how to improve my score.

I have:
- Worked in Canada for 12 months under NOC B
- a 2 year diploma at a post secondary institution in Canada
- My best IELTS score is W 6.5 R 7.5 L 8 S 7.5. I applied for a remark and my writing component remained unchanged. I have written this exam countless times (I literally cannot remember how many times I've written it), and I cannot achieve a better score than 6.5 and I am running out of money.

My questions:
1. Is there any way I can extend my work permit, in order for me to have more time to possibly gain one more year of work experience to add more points?
2. Is there anything else I can do within the next 11 months for me to get enough points to make the cut-off?

I'm very lost as to what to do, and would appreciate any advice.

Vitesze

Dec 15, 2017
Hello everyone,

I am planning to apply via EE for permanent residence status. After calculating my score on the CIC website, I received a score of 434, which is only 6 points short of the most recent cutoff. Unfortunately, my post graduation work permit expires August 2019 and I am in desperate need of advice on how to improve my score.

I have:
- Worked in Canada for 12 months under NOC B
- a 2 year diploma at a post secondary institution in Canada
- My best IELTS score is W 6.5 R 7.5 L 8 S 7.5. I applied for a remark and my writing component remained unchanged. I have written this exam countless times (I literally cannot remember how many times I've written it), and I cannot achieve a better score than 6.5 and I am running out of money.

My questions:
1. Is there any way I can extend my work permit, in order for me to have more time to possibly gain one more year of work experience to add more points?
2. Is there anything else I can do within the next 11 months for me to get enough points to make the cut-off?

I'm very lost as to what to do, and would appreciate any advice.
If you can manage to receive an ITA and send in your application before the expiration date of your PGWP, you can apply for a BOWP, which will let you continue to work in Canada temporarily while you await a decision.

As for increasing your CRS, really the main thing to do to gain a quick boost is re-taking the IELTS, or learn French and take the TEF. Most other options are time-consuming (e.g. additional education) or difficult to get (e.g. LMIA)

What is your exact employment starting date? Depending on the date, in theory you could work until very close to your permit's expiration date, obtain your 2nd Canadian work experience year, claim an extra 13pts., get an ITA and immediately request a BOWP.

Reactions: le_eddz

kreup

Sep 6, 2018
If you can manage to receive an ITA and send in your application before the expiration date of your PGWP, you can apply for a BOWP, which will let you continue to work in Canada temporarily while you await a decision.

As for increasing your CRS, really the main thing to do to gain a quick boost is re-taking the IELTS, or learn French and take the TEF. Most other options are time-consuming (e.g. additional education) or difficult to get (e.g. LMIA)

What is your exact employment starting date? Depending on the date, in theory you could work until very close to your permit's expiration date, obtain your 2nd Canadian work experience year, claim an extra 13pts., get an ITA and immediately request a BOWP.
Thanks for the reply! Unfortunately I won’t be able to work until December due to a family issue, so that would leave me 8 months to work. If I were to theoretically find a job, work 8 months and I apply for EE, can I submit it as 1 year as long as I fulfil the 12 months? Then apply for a BOWP, complete the 12 months and then complete my ITA? Or would 8 months be too short? If that doesn’t work, I feel like I have to keep writing IELTS exams until I get that 8 band :(

Vitesze

Dec 15, 2017
Thanks for the reply! Unfortunately I won’t be able to work until December due to a family issue, so that would leave me 8 months to work. If I were to theoretically find a job, work 8 months and I apply for EE, can I submit it as 1 year as long as I fulfil the 12 months? Then apply for a BOWP, complete the 12 months and then complete my ITA? Or would 8 months be too short? If that doesn’t work, I feel like I have to keep writing IELTS exams until I get that 8 band :(
You stated you worked for 12 months under NOC B in Canada, so you already are eligible for the CEC category and can claim 1 year of Canadian work experience. As for claiming the 2nd year, you would need 24 months of experience which you will be unable to obtain. Stating you have 2 years of Canadian work experience when you have not in order to receive your AOR/BOWP and actually obtain this 2nd year, is considered misrepresentation and is a serious offense. Besides, they will calculate work experience at the time of your AOR at which time it will be evident that you haven't been working long enough.

My recommendation is to try the CELPIP exam. There's some cases where people found one test to be easier than the other one, and managed to improve their score considerably as a result. 6pts. really is not a lot and it should be do-able to at least get your Writing and Reading scores up a little bit.

jaffaral

Champion Member
Jun 29, 2014
Category........
Other
Ok what I m getting here in sept 2018 u completed your 52 weeks/1 year. Now u can’t work anymore for the remainder of this year. M I correct here?

Now u r saying if theoretically u get job in Jan 2019 and u work till August 2019 u would complete 8 months. Would that be fine. The answer is no. U need to have 104 week cumulatively to claim 2 years of work experience. Can u apply bowp? Again no because bowp can only be applied if your application for PR is in progress.

However one thing u can do. If u take a break till nov 2018 and resume duties from December 2018 and by the time expiry of your work permit approaches apply for a new pgwp work permit and even though it will get rejected u will still be able to work under applied status till decision is made and that work will be valid even during the processing till your actual work permit expires.

Let’s hope by aug 2019 Cic score drops. Finally for writing use “ace the ielts” book by Simone breverman and follow her tricks. U should be able to get 7 bands.

kreup

Sep 6, 2018
You stated you worked for 12 months under NOC B in Canada, so you already are eligible for the CEC category and can claim 1 year of Canadian work experience. As for claiming the 2nd year, you would need 24 months of experience which you will be unable to obtain. Stating you have 2 years of Canadian work experience when you have not in order to receive your AOR/BOWP and actually obtain this 2nd year, is considered misrepresentation and is a serious offense. Besides, they will calculate work experience at the time of your AOR at which time it will be evident that you haven't been working long enough.

My recommendation is to try the CELPIP exam. There's some cases where people found one test to be easier than the other one, and managed to improve their score considerably as a result. 6pts. really is not a lot and it should be do-able to at least get your Writing and Reading scores up a little bit.
Ahh okay! Thanks for all of your help! I will definitely consider that exam, since that I can’t get a visa any other way.

kreup

Sep 6, 2018
Ok what I m getting here in sept 2018 u completed your 52 weeks/1 year. Now u can’t work anymore for the remainder of this year. M I correct here?

Now u r saying if theoretically u get job in Jan 2019 and u work till August 2019 u would complete 8 months. Would that be fine. The answer is no. U need to have 104 week cumulatively to claim 2 years of work experience. Can u apply bowp? Again no because bowp can only be applied if your application for PR is in progress.

However one thing u can do. If u take a break till nov 2018 and resume duties from December 2018 and by the time expiry of your work permit approaches apply for a new pgwp work permit and even though it will get rejected u will still be able to work under applied status till decision is made and that work will be valid even during the processing till your actual work permit expires.

Let’s hope by aug 2019 Cic score drops. Finally for writing use “ace the ielts” book by Simone breverman and follow her tricks. U should be able to get 7 bands.
Thank you for your help! So 2 years of NOC B experience is only acceptable if it is continuous (24 months straight)? Also do you have any experience using that book? I am considering buying it

jaffaral

Champion Member
Jun 29, 2014
Category........
Other
For cec countinuos experience is not a requirement it can be non countinuos as well.

Yes I did experience that that’s y I m saying.