+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work Permit Expiring prior to prior to receiving AOR

tarom

Mar 27, 2013
Hi and thanks for the fast reply,

Yes definitely I will submit my application to extend my stay as a visitor prior to IEC expiry. I know I don't have a change with BOWP but I think I can apply for an open work permit once I receive AOR, it may take months as my application will be assessed the same way as I was applying from my home country, but even so I think it can be done, right?

Thanks

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
tarom said:
I think I can apply for an open work permit once I receive AOR, it may take months as my application will be assessed the same way as I was applying from my home country, but even so I think it can be done, right?
Sorry but no. Only people in certain situations actually qualify for an OWP. See here http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?q=177&t=17

None of those situations are applicable to you, so you don't qualify for an OWP.

tarom

Mar 27, 2013
Thank you canuck_in_uk, I appreciate your input,

I think I will take my chances for open work permit no matter what, there is not much to lose..
Does it make any sense to mail an application for BOWP the same day I will mail my application for CEC ?

LPS

Champion Member
Aug 7, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-08-2013
AOR Received.
07-10-2013
Med's Request
07-03-2014
Med's Done....
26-03-2014
LANDED..........
09-04-2014
tarom said:
I think I will take my chances for open work permit no matter what, there is not much to lose..
Does it make any sense to mail an application for BOWP the same day I will mail my application for CEC ?
It's not impossible (nothing truly is) but there are several risks.

To have any chance of success, your BOWP application must be received by CIC before your current work permit expires, and it must be processed by CIC after your AOR has been issued. To submit a BOWP application prior to receiving an AOR is risky in itself, and at best, it creates a race between the people processing AORs and the people processing BOWPs.

Let's say you submit your CEC and BOWP applications on the same day. Even if current trends hold, the AOR will be issued at around the same time that the BOWP is processed. This is based on the AORs taking 'about a month' (your words) and the current estimated processing time for paper work permit applications (42 days). These trends can change, and they often do.

Also, it seems that you plan to submit for CEC with precisely 12 months of experience. A lot of people will tell you this is risky, as it allows no margin for error, but it sounds like you have no other choice.

Ultimately, you decide what your own level of risk is, but you should consider other options.

tarom

Mar 27, 2013
Thank you LPS, unfortunately for me you are right, I can't apply for OWP, that means I have to wait until final a decision is made for my PR.
About CEC is there something I should worry about? Why there is no margin for errors?
I am with my current employer from the first day I came into Canada and issued SIN card, and he is supporting me all the way through.
My NOC is 4163.
Thank you

shuggzz

Star Member
Jan 13, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07 July 2014
AOR Received.
Never received it
IELTS Request
CELPIP Sent with app
Med's Request
March 11 2015
Med's Done....
March 20 2015
Passport Req..
May 23 2015
VISA ISSUED...
June 2 2015
HI There,

Hoping you guys can help me..

I'm in a really rough situation right now and im so scared to lose my status in Canada... :(

I am applying for CEC on June 24th.. What is the timeline right now in receiving the AOR?

My current PGWP expired August 20th.. Do you think I will get my AOR before the end of July?

Please help!!!
Thanks,

Ashra

Apr 26, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa/ND
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-Oct-2013
AOR Received.
22-Nov-2013
IELTS Request
Sent with App ECAS(In Process): 29-Apr-2014
Med's Request
30-Apr-2014 RPRF Request : 30-Apr-2014
Med's Done....
03-May-2014 Med's Uploaded: 08-May-2014 RPRF Paid ......: 08-May-2014 ECAS(Medicals):17-May-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
23-May-2014 ECAS(Decision): 24-May-2014 VO Change Req: 26-May-2014 VO Change Email: 16-Jun-2014 PP(For Stamping): 17-Jun-2014
VISA ISSUED...
18-Jun-2014
LANDED..........
30-Sep-2014
your PGWP exppired or will expire in Aug.
I guess if you apply in July and if you are lucky then by max you should get your AOR by 10-Aug.

Cheers

katec101

Apr 16, 2014
My wp is about to expire, and I won't receive and AOr in time to apply for a BOWP, is it easy to leave the country and come back in as a tourist?!

ljiljka007

Jan 3, 2013
Mississauga, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13-05-2014
Doc's Request.
sent PCC for spouse on Oct 20, without request
AOR Received.
06/24/2014
IELTS Request
with application
Med's Request
17-06-2015
Med's Done....
08-07-2015
Passport Req..
30-07-2015
LANDED..........
17-08-2015
katec101 said:
My wp is about to expire, and I won't receive and AOr in time to apply for a BOWP, is it easy to leave the country and come back in as a tourist?!
You can do that, but then You'll have to get LMO if You plan to work again. Other solution is to apply for BOWP on paper since it takes them 40-47 days to process it and hope that You'll receive aor by then.

katec101

Apr 16, 2014
Thanks, that was my plan (to apply via post) but I have read so much and I just confused myself into a panick.
If I get my AOR (should be in 2 weeks), then what? (I will have already suited my BoWP via post)

Thanks!

ljiljka007

Jan 3, 2013
Mississauga, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13-05-2014
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
06/24/2014
IELTS Request
with application
Med's Request
17-06-2015
Med's Done....
08-07-2015
Passport Req..
30-07-2015
LANDED..........
17-08-2015
katec101 said:
Thanks, that was my plan (to apply via post) but I have read so much and I just confused myself into a panick.
If I get my AOR (should be in 2 weeks), then what? (I will have already suited my BoWP via post)

Thanks!
Then nothing. You just sit and wait for your work permit to come to your house :) And you can work while you wait because you'll be on implied status

katec101

Apr 16, 2014
Ok, awesome. It's what I thought, and what I wanted to hear... So I should write in a cover letter the reason for submitting with out at AOr and that will receive my AOR in the next couple of weeks?

ljiljka007

Jan 3, 2013
Mississauga, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13-05-2014
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
06/24/2014
IELTS Request
with application
Med's Request
17-06-2015
Med's Done....
08-07-2015
Passport Req..
30-07-2015
LANDED..........
17-08-2015
katec101 said:
Ok, awesome. It's what I thought, and what I wanted to hear... So I should write in a cover letter the reason for submitting with out at AOr and that will receive my AOR in the next couple of weeks?
Yes, something like that. Just kindly ask them to check in their system form your aor number. But even if you dont send them anything its not a big deal since aor is not mandatory to send it with application. They check it anyways when they receive your application

LPS

Champion Member
Aug 7, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-08-2013
AOR Received.
07-10-2013
Med's Request
07-03-2014
Med's Done....
26-03-2014
LANDED..........
09-04-2014
tarom said:
About CEC is there something I should worry about? Why there is no margin for errors?
Because you are submitting for CEC with the absolute minimum amount of experience. Many here would advise you to apply with more experience (perhaps a few weeks more) as a buffer in case you made a mistake in your calculation of work experience.

Of course, applying with the minimum amount is allowed, but if you must do it, check your calculations well. If you are applying just with one full-time job, it is relatively simple:

- there must be 12 clear months between the date you started your job, and either the date your reference letter is signed, or the date you finished your job, whichever comes first;
- you were paid for 30 or more hours of work per week for the entire time (a reasonable amount of paid leave is allowed).

katec101

Apr 16, 2014
LPS said:
Because you are submitting for CEC with the absolute minimum amount of experience. Many here would advise you to apply with more experience (perhaps a few weeks more) as a buffer in case you made a mistake in your calculation of work experience.

Of course, applying with the minimum amount is allowed, but if you must do it, check your calculations well. If you are applying just with one full-time job, it is relatively simple:

- there must be 12 clear months between the date you started your job, and either the date your reference letter is signed, or the date you finished your job, whichever comes first;
- you were paid for 30 or more hours of work per week for the entire time (a reasonable amount of paid leave is allowed).
I would apply as soon as possible, with lots of time as a buffer. My first application was sent back because I missed a signature, and then it was sent back a second time because I wrote the credit card number down wrong when they tried to process payment. Now I am left with a week remaining on my current WP and trying to get my BOWP submitted before I am unable to leave. I would even recommend paying a lawyer which is what I wish I would have done to avoid silly mistakes! :) Good Luck though!