+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work permit close to expire, but still outside Canada. What should I do?

serial323

Oct 5, 2019
Hello everyone,

So here I explain my situation as detailed as possible. I have a post-graduate work permit which will expire on the 20th June, 2020. I graduated Canadian University in June 2017 but I didn't started career immediately in order to deal with my serious health issue first so I return to home country, South Korea.
Time passed, and I decided to start working back in Canada, but my work permit is already near to expire. I checked CIC page and it says extension application must be submitted at least 30 days before its expiry, and most importantly, I have to have a job.

It's almost April and and I started to get confused whether I should say I need sponsorship when I apply for a job from now on although I have work permit, since it's close to expiry. I tried to find if there is any other way to extend my work permit without occupation at this moment, but I couldn't find any useful information.

I desperately need any help for this problem... Thank you for your time and regards.

(P.S. I forgot to mention this, I applied for Permanent Residence too via Quebec-selected skilled workers program, if this information helps.)

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Hello everyone,

So here I explain my situation as detailed as possible. I have a post-graduate work permit which will expire on the 20th June, 2020. I graduated Canadian University in June 2017 but I didn't started career immediately in order to deal with my serious health issue first so I return to home country, South Korea.
Time passed, and I decided to start working back in Canada, but my work permit is already near to expire. I checked CIC page and it says extension application must be submitted at least 30 days before its expiry, and most importantly, I have to have a job.

It's almost April and and I started to get confused whether I should say I need sponsorship when I apply for a job from now on although I have work permit, since it's close to expiry. I tried to find if there is any other way to extend my work permit without occupation at this moment, but I couldn't find any useful information.

I desperately need any help for this problem... Thank you for your time and regards.

(P.S. I forgot to mention this, I applied for Permanent Residence too via Quebec-selected skilled workers program, if this information helps.)
1. Your PGWP is NON extendible. To work past the 20th of June, you would require an employer to advertise, pay $1K, demonstrate no PRs/CC can do the job before a LMIA would be issued. You require LMIA and new work permit to work past the 20th of June.

serial323

Oct 5, 2019
Hi

1. Your PGWP is NON extendible. To work past the 20th of June, you would require an employer to advertise, pay $1K, demonstrate no PRs/CC can do the job before a LMIA would be issued. You require LMIA and new work permit to work past the 20th of June.
Could you please explain what "demonstrate no PRs/CC can do the job before a LMIA would be issued." means? This has some terms I can't instantly understand like PRs/CC and LMIA.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Could you please explain what "demonstrate no PRs/CC can do the job before a LMIA would be issued." means? This has some terms I can't instantly understand like PRs/CC and LMIA.
It means the employer has to advertise the job for at least four weeks in at least three accepted place to demonstrate that they tried to recruit a Canadian for the role and were unsuccessful. Full LMIA requirements here:

https://www.canada.ca/en/employment-social-development/services/foreign-workers/median-wage/high/requirements.html

PR = permanent resident CC = canadian citizen

serial323

Oct 5, 2019
It means the employer has to advertise the job for at least four weeks in at least three accepted place to demonstrate that they tried to recruit a Canadian for the role and were unsuccessful. Full LMIA requirements here:

https://www.canada.ca/en/employment-social-development/services/foreign-workers/median-wage/high/requirements.html

PR = permanent resident CC = canadian citizen
Thank you for your detailed explanation, I really appreciate it. So at this moment I should count either on my PR application which will take more than a year or apply for a job and hope for a sponsorship which seems very unlikely....?