+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work permit case type 28

Aug 17, 2019
Hello!

So my partner and I have decided to go ahead with a spousal sponsorship. He is currently a refugee claimant. We had a few questions regarding his work permit :

-his current work permit indicates case type 28. What does that mean? And since his passport was seized his work permit doesn’t have anything in that section. We’re wondering if it’s obvious to employers that he’s a refugee claimant; as he thinks if they know then they won’t hire him (as they don’t know if he’ll stay)
-during the application for spousal sponsorship, will we have to apply for a new work permit given that the conditions have changed?
-is there anything we can do to make this as uncomplicated as possible? Thanks!

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
I've just spent a fair bit of time searching the IRCC website for Case Type 28. I found that 27 meant "under examination" and that 56 and 57 and 96 and 20 are all defined, but I cannot find any reference to 28.

It's likely that case type 28 has something to do with refugees or protected persons, but unless an employer had personal experience and knew that it meant this, they wouldn't know - although now that you've written the question here, it's Google-able.

Akhenatonbta

Star Member
Jan 29, 2020
Hello!

So my partner and I have decided to go ahead with a spousal sponsorship. He is currently a refugee claimant. We had a few questions regarding his work permit :

-his current work permit indicates case type 28. What does that mean? And since his passport was seized his work permit doesn’t have anything in that section. We’re wondering if it’s obvious to employers that he’s a refugee claimant; as he thinks if they know then they won’t hire him (as they don’t know if he’ll stay)
-during the application for spousal sponsorship, will we have to apply for a new work permit given that the conditions have changed?
-is there anything we can do to make this as uncomplicated as possible? Thanks!
Hello, have you found any answer? I am in a similar situation to your case. What have you done?

Aug 17, 2019
We applied for the spousal sponsorship and a new OWP :) We also talked to a lawyer and he said employers aren’t concerned about the case type and most don’t even know what it means.