+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work permit benefits if enter before job start date?

kidaz

Feb 20, 2022
I have a question about timing of entry to Canada on a work permit, and the benefits it confers.

I have a 2-year LMIA-exempt job offer in Calgary which begins September 2022. I am moving from the UK, so no Visa required, only an eTA to enter Canada. I want to enter one month before my job begins to get set up. What is my status at that point (before job start date) -- visitor or work permit?

This is particularly relevant because my wife is pregnant and we need health insurance. We are AHCIP covered from the beginning of the work permit, but I would need private health insurance if our status was as vacationing visitors. I want the AHCIP benefits on the date we enter if possible. So, what is my status when I enter 1 month before my job --- vactioner (no benefits) or work visa temporary resident (AHCIP benefits)?

Further, this thread (https://is.gd/Sp4lSS) cautions us to be clear on the expiry date. Is the work permit timed by duration (2 years because of 2 year job) or by end date? If I enter one month earlier than my job start, I don't want the permit to expire 1 year 11 months into my job.

Please help.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I have a question about timing of entry to Canada on a work permit, and the benefits it confers.

I have a 2-year LMIA-exempt job offer in Calgary which begins September 2022. I am moving from the UK, so no Visa required, only an eTA to enter Canada. I want to enter one month before my job begins to get set up. What is my status at that point (before job start date) -- visitor or work permit?

This is particularly relevant because my wife is pregnant and we need health insurance. We are AHCIP covered from the beginning of the work permit, but I would need private health insurance if our status was as vacationing visitors. I want the AHCIP benefits on the date we enter if possible. So, what is my status when I enter 1 month before my job --- vactioner (no benefits) or work visa temporary resident (AHCIP benefits)?

Further, this thread (https://is.gd/Sp4lSS) cautions us to be clear on the expiry date. Is the work permit timed by duration (2 years because of 2 year job) or by end date? If I enter one month earlier than my job start, I don't want the permit to expire 1 year 11 months into my job.

Please help.
You will have to show your proof of employment to qualify for a health coverage. If you aren't employed yet you both shouldn't qualify for coverage.

kidaz

Feb 20, 2022
This is wrong. You get health coverage from day 1 in Alberta. You do NOT have to have begun your job.