+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work Permit at the Port of Entry

ajaybhattnagar

Aug 4, 2020
Hello All,

I wanted to see is it possible to apply for a work permit at any of the PoE's during travel restrictions?

According to this: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/work-canada/permit/temporary/eligibility.html#port_entry
I meet all the requirements.
1. I have a positive LMIA.
2. Essential worker letter.
3. Travelling from US.
4. Hold a visitor visa to Canada.
5. Plan for Quarantine.

If someone has tried to get their WP at the PoE, please share your experience.

Thank you.

jweekend

Champion Member
Dec 13, 2019
Are you a US citizen?

Even then you have a visitor visa to Canada, which means you're ineligible to get a permit at the port of entry

ajaybhattnagar

Aug 4, 2020
Are you a US citizen?

Even then you have a visitor visa to Canada, which means you're ineligible to get a permit at the port of entry
Okay. So you need to be a US citizen or a permanent resident to apply at the PoE?
In that case, I have to wait until I get an approval letter after applying online.

Thank you.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Okay. So you need to be a US citizen or a permanent resident to apply at the PoE?
In that case, I have to wait until I get an approval letter after applying online.

Thank you.
You need to apply online. Applying at the POE isn't an option for you since you are not visa exempt. You have to be holidng a valid work permit to board the plane to Canada. You will not be allowed to board with just a TRV due to travel restrictions. Even without travel restrictions, applying at the POE would not have been possible. Submit your online application as soon as you can.

ajaybhattnagar

Aug 4, 2020
You need to apply online. Applying at the POE isn't an option for you since you are not visa exempt. You have to be holidng a valid work permit to board the plane to Canada. You will not be allowed to board with just a TRV due to travel restrictions. Even without travel restrictions, applying at the POE would not have been possible. Submit your online application as soon as you can.
Thanks for the reply @scylla
I finally applied for the WP online and had a question.

Do you know how fast they process the WP if you have submitted an essential business letter along with your application?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thanks for the reply @scylla
I finally applied for the WP online and had a question.

Do you know how fast they process the WP if you have submitted an essential business letter along with your application?
I don't know.