+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work permit at the port of entry

Hamed2002m

Dec 11, 2019
I applied for WP inland with LMIA exemption, but it took more than 3 months with no results. I see that there is a method of getting a work permit in the port of entry. Is that possible to go out and in to get the work permit instead of waiting for the result? Should I apply again for this method from outside?

babybenz

Jan 26, 2018
If you are citizen of a country that does not need the Visa to enter (or visit) Canada, then you may try to apply for the WP at the border. But since you have already started the application process, I would suggest to call CIC and ask them directly.
But did you submit all the required documents right away at the beginning of the process or not?

Hamed2002m

Dec 11, 2019
If you are citizen of a country that does not need the Visa to enter (or visit) Canada, then you may try to apply for the WP at the border. But since you have already started the application process, I would suggest to call CIC and ask them directly.
But did you submit all the required documents right away at the beginning of the process or not?
No, I am not a citizen of those countries but I have a valid study permit and VISA for one year, and I am in Canada now. For my application, the lawyer of the company filled my application, and I think my application must be completed. I called CIC, they told me that they are processing applications up to August, and mine was submitted on Sep 27th.

babybenz

Jan 26, 2018
No, I am not a citizen of those countries but I have a valid study permit and VISA for one year, and I am in Canada now. For my application, the lawyer of the company filled my application, and I think my application must be completed. I called CIC, they told me that they are processing applications up to August, and mine was submitted on Sep 27th.
You said you have valid study permit, so you are applying for Post Graduate Work Permit (PGWP) then? If that is the case, you can certainly applying at the border but I guess it is too late now. You will have to wait then. Or talk to your lawyer to see the progress?

Hamed2002m

Dec 11, 2019
You said you have valid study permit, so you are applying for Post Graduate Work Permit (PGWP) then? If that is the case, you can certainly applying at the border but I guess it is too late now. You will have to wait then. Or talk to your lawyer to see the progress?
No, it is not a PGWP. It is an LMIA exempt Work Permit for a Job offer. I have a deadline for this job offer, and I think I could not get a valid work permit on time. I am thinking to go out and in to get the Work permit on the port of entry. I asked the lawyer but they are on holiday and nobody will answer my question. If I am from a country with VISA required (I have now for one year), could I get my Work Permit at the port of Entry?

babybenz

Jan 26, 2018
No, it is not a PGWP. It is an LMIA exempt Work Permit for a Job offer. I have a deadline for this job offer, and I think I could not get a valid work permit on time. I am thinking to go out and in to get the Work permit on the port of entry. I asked the lawyer but they are on holiday and nobody will answer my question. If I am from a country with VISA required (I have now for one year), could I get my Work Permit at the port of Entry?
I would also think you can, but after looking at the written instruction/guide on the IRCC website below
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/work-canada/permit/temporary/eligibility.html
I don't think you could apply at the PoE.
Best yet to wait for your lawyer then...

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
How is it LMIA-exempt?

As you are not visa-exempt, you do not qualify to apply at a POE.

Josh007

Star Member
Apr 11, 2019
Hey bud
I was in same situation in 2018. I got my LMIA work permit at port of entry. You just need to take all of your documents with you. They will issue you LMIA work permit.
Hopefully this will help you.
Thanks

babybenz

Jan 26, 2018
Hey bud
I was in same situation in 2018. I got my LMIA work permit at port of entry. You just need to take all of your documents with you. They will issue you LMIA work permit.
Hopefully this will help you.
Thanks
Hey Josh007,
What port of entry did you go to?
I have a friend who might be considering this option (LMIA approval, valid job offer; from visa-required country but she has valid visitor visa, already apply online and now waiting for the background check, etc...)

Josh007

Star Member
Apr 11, 2019
Hey Josh007,
What port of entry did you go to?
I have a friend who might be considering this option (LMIA approval, valid job offer; from visa-required country but she has valid visitor visa, already apply online and now waiting for the background check, etc...)
Hey bud
I went to emerson, we just need LMIA letter, job letter, current status documents and passport. If you got your work permit at port of entry, CIC will refund you $150 if you have applied online. And also please check if her visitor visa have multiple entries or not.
Thanks

babybenz

Jan 26, 2018
Hey bud
I went to emerson, we just need LMIA letter, job letter, current status documents and passport. If you got your work permit at port of entry, CIC will refund you $150 if you have applied online. And also please check if her visitor visa have multiple entries or not.
Thanks
I see, that sounds very interesting... But she does not have valid US visa though. Her Canada visitor visa is a 3-year multi-entry visa. Is it something she can do?

Josh007

Star Member
Apr 11, 2019
I see, that sounds very interesting... But she does not have valid US visa though. Her Canada visitor visa is a 3-year multi-entry visa. Is it something she can do?
She don’t have to worry about US visa, even I didn’t had. Just enter US customs and tell them we are here for flag poling. That’s it. Just give them your passport.

babybenz

Jan 26, 2018
She don’t have to worry about US visa, even I didn’t had. Just enter US customs and tell them we are here for flag poling. That’s it. Just give them your passport.
Thank you for your tips. Do you know of any PoE in the Western part of Canada? Currently she is residing in Calgary though...