+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work permit at the border port-of entry

europeangirl

Apr 30, 2013
Can anybody please help me with some advice? It is very important for me to have a successful outcome in our situation and it is quite urgent too.

agusev

Mar 18, 2013
I am currently employed in Canada and have a closed work permit.
I have a job offer from another company which started the LMO process; it will take about 3 months to be finalized.

My current TRV is good till February 2014.

Due to family circumstances, I need quit my current job and return to my country for a couple of months
1. Will I be able to re-enter Canada with my old TRV ?
2. Is it possible to get a new work permit at the border (I am not from a visa-exempt country)?

forsaken11

Star Member
Mar 7, 2013
Dear All,

I need some help.

My situation is as follows:

1. I am currently in the US and have a multiple entry valid Visitor TRV for Canada.

2. I am NOT from a visa exempt country.

3. I have a job offer and LMO (Accelerated) from my employer.

4. I applied for my work permit online in early April but have not received any response. I have to start working in ten days, otherwise, I may lose the job opportunity.

I was looking into this "work permit at the point of entry" plan. Do you think I can make this work and get a work permit at the POE? I am NOT from a visa exempt country but I have a valid multiple entry TRV. However, my TRV says Visitor and not worker/student. Would I be denied entry cause my TRV is a visitor one and not a worker one?

Has anyone had this experience or has any information about this? Thanks!!

forsaken11

Star Member
Mar 7, 2013
forsaken11 said:
Dear All,

I need some help.

My situation is as follows:

1. I am currently in the US and have a multiple entry valid Visitor TRV for Canada.

2. I am NOT from a visa exempt country.

3. I have a job offer and LMO (Accelerated) from my employer.

4. I applied for my work permit online in early April but have not received any response. I have to start working in ten days, otherwise, I may lose the job opportunity.

I was looking into this "work permit at the point of entry" plan. Do you think I can make this work and get a work permit at the POE? I am NOT from a visa exempt country but I have a valid multiple entry TRV. However, my TRV says Visitor and not worker/student. Would I be denied entry cause my TRV is a visitor one and not a worker one?

Has anyone had this experience or has any information about this? Thanks!!
Can anyone please share their experience about this? I want to do this next week but looking for some advice here.

liljinx01ph

Mar 21, 2013
Please help me...

Note: i am NOT from a visa exempt country and this is my first time applying for a work permit

I already received my BC PNP letter of acceptance and work permit support letter. I am planning to apply for a work permit while waiting for the processing of my permanent resident visa. I already have all my documents with me including medical certificate and dentristry license granted by College of Dental Surgeons of BC (I am a dentist NOC 3113)

May I ask if I can apply for a work permit at the Port of Entry? I am currently on Temporary Resident Visa (multiple entry which is valid until 2016).

ixd3009

Jun 12, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-11-2013
AOR Received.
06-01-2014
IELTS Request
N/A
Med's Request
06-01-2014
Med's Done....
26-01-2014
LANDED..........
already in Canada on WP
MasterGeek said:
I flagpoled successfully with a valid WP and an expired TRV.
Hi,

I originally applied for WP extension based on LMO to get on time while waiting for my BC PNP nomination. When I got my nomination I was already in implied status and I was told by CIC call center that I need to document my implied status and send it together with application for new wp based on bc pnp nomination. I did that, and then patiently waited only to receive a refusal on Aug 20 with explanation that I was out of status (MY WP appl. based on LMO was refused on Jul 24) and that I need to apply for restoration and new wp within 90 days. It didn't help explaining that I was told that I can be in implied status when sending application and what's worse I was told that processing time takes around 5-6 months. I can't afford that so I'm thinking of flagpoling but I am not sure if I can do it being without status. I must mention that I am from visa-exempt country. I'm kind of panicking atm. I see that people did it with valid wp but what if I only have BC PNP letter of certificate ? Pls help!

Tnx,
I.

lnguzman90

Sep 4, 2013
Hi everybody,

I currently have a multiple-entry TRV (worker) valid until September 30, 2013. My work permit expires by September 11, 2013.

I already have my LMO with a positive confirmation, I applied on-line for my new work permit but because of the strike I'll have to wait about two months to get my WP and I won't be able to work.

Can I still go to the border near to Whitehorse and apply for my new WP by September 11, 2013?

Thanks in advance!

Daisy81

Apr 13, 2014
Hello Carmen

Taken that this post is close to two years old, I would like to know if you were successful with your open work permit at the port of entry. My husband has just received a positive LMO, he is British and I am South African. I need to know if it will work going to Canada on a visitors visa and either apply at port of entry or once I am in Canada.

I am not sure if our 2 yr old son who is South African with a British passport need a visitor visa too.

I would like tl know how you went about it as our situation is similar.

We dont want to be stuck in SA for too long waiting on visa as my husband need to start work as soon as possible.

Look forward to your response.

Thanks
Daisy

Daisy81

Apr 13, 2014
Hello Carmen

Taken that this post is close to two years old, I would like to know if you were successful with your open work permit at the port of entry. My husband has just received a positive LMO, he is British and I am South African. I would like to know if it will work going to Canada on a visitor's visa and either apply at port of entry or once I am in Canada.

I would like to know how you went about it as our situation is similar.

We dont want to be stuck in SA for too long waiting on visa as my husband need to start work as soon as possible.

look forward to your response.

jrowland

Apr 14, 2014
Resurrecting this thread a little further...

I'm immigrating to Canada at the end of July; I have an offer for an LMO exempt temporary job, and I'm a US citizen. I gather all I'll need to apply at the port of entry is my passport, the offer letter, and proof of my qualifications. Three questions.

1) Will I need a "police clearance certificate"? Very few people seem to mention this, especially when coming from the US, and it's not that easy to get.

2) My wife is actually a Canadian citizen, but she is a permanent resident in the US, and it isn't clear yet how and when she will join me in Canada. Could this be a problem when I apply for the permit? I'm a little worried that they'll think that I'm trying to set up shop in Canada permanently, especially if my wife has a job in Canada by the time I actually do immigrate.

3) Per the offer letter, my job doesn't start until July. Can I get the permit before the job starts? For example, if I visit in May, can they issue it then? Obviously, the permit wouldn't be in effect until July, but I ask because I would like to get the permit so that I can get an SIN so that I can open a bank account, etc. before I finally move.

Thanks a lot!
Jon

pdarshan

Sep 18, 2014
Hi,

Im yet to apply for a Work Permit.Ii require a Visa to enter Canada but i do not need an LMO or a CAQ. Can i apply for the Work Permit at the port of Entry with a TRV(Temporary Resident Visa)?

Thanks in advance

CanadaPC

Star Member
Sep 16, 2014
BC
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, Nova Scotia
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30/05/2015
Doc's Request.
18/01/2016
Nomination.....
24/03/2015
AOR Received.
17/08/2015
IELTS Request
12/02/2015
Med's Request
Waiting
GeoCanadian said:
SUCCESSFULLY FLAGPOLED (this is what they call when you go across the border just for the immigration purposes and come right back to Canada) AT THE CANADIAN-U.S. CHECKPOINT (Woodstock, New Brunswick).

One major point here - I AM NOT from a visa exempt country. Yet, this was not even a question and everything went well.

Another major point: I had just received the LMO based on this job offer in Clgary, Alberta. It took just 10 days (including a weekend). You must know that there are two LMO streams/programs: (a)for temporary workers that plan to apply for a Work Permit - it only takes 7 to 14 days to get an LMO in this case; and (b)LMOs for "pre-arranged employment" on the basis of which one may apply for immigration to Canada - right now, as of April 19th, they are working on the applications received on March 4th; thus, average processing time for this LMO is 45 days. It may be substantially longer if there is a mistake or correction that needs to be made to the LMO application.

Back to my flagpoling experience. Here is what happened:

>I went to the U.S. side. When asked for the purpose, I said directly that I was just fulfilling Canadian immigration requirements. They asked me to go inside the building. Since I did not have a U.S. entry visa, instead of stamping my passport with an entry stamp, they issued a white sheet of paper certifying that I was at the border but not admitted to the United States. I made sure to ask if this would impact my future travels to the United States. They assured me that this would not be a case as this procedure amounted to me withdrawing my request to enter the U.S.;
>Armed with this white sheet of paper, I came to the Canadian checkpoint and passed my passport with all the documents to the border agent. She asked me if I was there for immigration purposes and I said yes. She asked me some standard border checkpoint questions, returned all the documents to me and gave me an yellow slip too. I was asked to park the car and go into the lobby;
>After about 30 minute wait, another border agent/immigration officer called my name. He asked what I was requesting. After learning that I was there for a work permit, he collected my documents which included:
1. My passport, with unexpired multiple entry Canadian Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) along with my unexpired "Student Permit";
2. My appointment letter/job offer from my employer;
3. Labour Market Opinion (LMO);
4. Letters and transcripts certifying my degrees and doctoral level studies since these were part of qualifications required for the job;
>After briefly examining my documents, he asked me to pay $150 for the permit, which I did with my debit card;
>After collecting my payment and the above documents, he asked me to wait and went into the backroom to work on my file;
>After about 20-25 minutes, he emerged with my documents and a newly issued work permit in his hand; I took all the documents thanked him, we said goodbyes and that was it.:)

Hope this helps! Let me know if you need more info... Good luck!
Hi Geo Canadian:

I am from Croatia (we are not part of the WAIVER Program, visa exempt). I m currently in BC, Canada, as a temporary resident, since I am waiting for my PNP Nomination Certificate. I heard about the flagpoling to issue a new work permit. My closest POE would be Vancover, since I am in BC. Now, once i get the Cetificate, I would like to do flagpoling.
DO I need US visa to do that, since I will be crossing the border to US?
I called CIC today, they told me that I need a visa, but reading some posts on this forum, I do not need....so I m confused now...because if I need to make B2tourist visa for US, its the whole process and fee is involved as well....

Thank you.
CanadaPC

CanadaPC

Star Member
Sep 16, 2014
BC
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, Nova Scotia
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30/05/2015
Doc's Request.
18/01/2016
Nomination.....
24/03/2015
AOR Received.
17/08/2015
IELTS Request
12/02/2015
Med's Request
Waiting
ixd3009 said:
Hi,

I originally applied for WP extension based on LMO to get on time while waiting for my BC PNP nomination. When I got my nomination I was already in implied status and I was told by CIC call center that I need to document my implied status and send it together with application for new wp based on bc pnp nomination. I did that, and then patiently waited only to receive a refusal on Aug 20 with explanation that I was out of status (MY WP appl. based on LMO was refused on Jul 24) and that I need to apply for restoration and new wp within 90 days. It didn't help explaining that I was told that I can be in implied status when sending application and what's worse I was told that processing time takes around 5-6 months. I can't afford that so I'm thinking of flagpoling but I am not sure if I can do it being without status. I must mention that I am from visa-exempt country. I'm kind of panicking atm. I see that people did it with valid wp but what if I only have BC PNP letter of certificate ? Pls help!

Tnx,
I.
Hi ixd3009
did you get the things sorted?
I see the croatian flag, are you in Canada?

CanadaPC

LMIA2014

Nov 9, 2014
Hi,
I would like to ask something about the work permit.
My situation is: I have a LMIA with ANNEX A and a Job offer(job contract).
I would like to move to Canada with my wife and our sons, our nationality is Hungarian but we live in England.
We don't need the passport visa to Canada so we would like to apply the work permit when we will enter to Canada.
My first question is: I got a copy of LMIA without my name but the company told me (your name does not appear on the documents you are registered as a number under the file# at the top of the LMIA. Everything is done by number. ) Is this correct?
Can I use this copy of LMIA without my name?
ANNEX A without my name is it correct?
Can we apply work permit at the border port-of entry ?
I read on the CIC online we can apply at the border port-of entry but I don't read about which LMIA (without name or with name) need for me. And which ANNEX (A or B) (without name or with name) need for apply work permit at the port-of entry.
My ANNEX A expiry date is December 2014. We need to apply for a work permit till December or we need to get it till December?
Thanks

sherwina

Apr 8, 2015
Hi I am just new here. I have a question regarding work permit. I am having a work permit valid until May 2015, but unfortunately my current employer no longer gonna renew my contract. So I decided to find a new job instead of returning to philippines. Luckyly, I have found a new job. And my new employer gave me an LMIA and contract, I need to process my new work permit as fast as I can or any possible way because the work will start this coming May 1, 2015. I dont want to do online application for work permit because It will takes 2months for the processing. Some people told me that I can go to a border(montana) because I am here in alberta to get a new work permit but my entry visa was already expire last 2013. My question is, Is it possible to do that? And can I go to border to exit and enter canada without TRV? and can I go to US just to exit canada without US visa? please anyone can help me, i need some knowledge before I will go to border (montana).