+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work Permit at the Border - Pay Fee beforehand?

prjmdl

Sep 29, 2011
Hi,

I just got my LMO and would like to get my Work Permit. I have been reading that I can go to the Canada/US Border and get my WP there. Do I have to pay the $150 fee before going to the border or do they charge the fee at the border?

Thank you for your help,
Fernando

wakk

Sep 28, 2011
As far as i understand you pay when you go. Sure someone will give a definate answer soon.

Do you know if you need to cross the border into the states and what to say when you do this?

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
Are you from a country that does not require visa to enter Canada? Does your job type not require medicals? I think there are some provisions where you can pay your WP there.

prjmdl said:
Hi,

I just got my LMO and would like to get my Work Permit. I have been reading that I can go to the Canada/US Border and get my WP there. Do I have to pay the $150 fee before going to the border or do they charge the fee at the border?

Thank you for your help,
Fernando

prjmdl

Sep 29, 2011
I am from a country that Requires a Visa to enter Canada. I have a valid Visa for Canada and the US.
My job doesn't require medical exams either.

I don't have any problems with my status or anything like that. Just wondering if I have to pay the fee before going to the border.

I am living and working in Canada btw.

Thanks.

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
You can pay at the bank if you have those receipts that you bring in. I think you can pay at the border too. Call the border you're going to. I don't think all CBSA offices are equipped to issue a WP.

prjmdl said:
I am from a country that Requires a Visa to enter Canada. I have a valid Visa for Canada and the US.
My job doesn't require medical exams either.

I don't have any problems with my status or anything like that. Just wondering if I have to pay the fee before going to the border.

I am living and working in Canada btw.

Thanks.

GoldenArm

Star Member
Jul 5, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
will apply at Port of Entry
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-Jul-2011 (LMO)
VISA ISSUED...
LMO received 09-Sep-2011
There is a cashier at the border. Paying there is probably the easiest way.

Once you present your LMO to the Immigration Official and answer any questions they have, they send you to the cashier and you pay on the spot. Not sure which port of entry you will be applying at, but at the Toronto Airpiort you can pay by cash, credit or debit.

prjmdl

Sep 29, 2011
I just called Fort Erie, this is what they said:

I can process my Work Permit at the Fort Erie (Peace Bridge) port of entry. I have to bring all the necessary paperwork.
I have to pay the fee when they issue the work permit.

Thanks to everyone for your help,
Fernando