+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work permit at port of entry

mwj

May 7, 2012
Hi
I got my positive LMO, and I'm heading to Canada next month to apply for a work permit at port of entry. However, I'm a little confused cos there is a jungle of information out there and I'm not sure which sources to trust or not. So any of you who has been through this process could you please help me out? Thanks!:)

- Do I need to fill in any forms prior to arriving in Canada or will they provide me with forms at the airport?
... I looked at a document checklist and there were a whole bunch of forms there that you have to fill out...

I don't need a visitors visa to enter Canada, so the documents I am bringing are these:
LMO
Employment Agreement
Police Clearance Certificate

...will I need anything else? Proof of funds?

And how do I pay for my work permit at the airport? Can I pay by card?

Thank you for your time!

SenoritaBella

VIP Member
Jan 2, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Dakar
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-01-2014
AOR Received.
12-02-2014
File Transfer...
25-02-2014
Med's Request
02-11-2015
Med's Done....
18-09-2013
Passport Req..
02-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
hopefully soon
LANDED..........
hopefully soon
More information here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/apply-who-eligible.asp#enter under "eligibility to apply as you enter Canada".

You should fill out all the forms and bring with you. Also determine if you need a medical exam here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/medical/medexams-temp.asp

Application package for work permit: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/work.asp

More information under "some workers can apply at a port of entry": http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/publications/work-temp.asp

Not sure how fee payment at the port of entry works but it shouldn't be a big deal.

wideopenspaces

Star Member
Jul 20, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/publications/tfw-guide.asp

Step 4: Port of Entry

To enter Canada, foreign workers must have the following documents on their person to present to a Border Services officer:

a passport or travel document that is valid for the period of the authorized stay, unless they are citizens of the United States, or residents of Greenland or St. Pierre and Miquelon
a signed job offer and/or employment contract
an authorization letter approving a work permit application issued by CIC (if applicable)
a copy of Service Canada’s positive LMO (if applicable)
a copy of the confirmation by a CIC Temporary Foreign Worker Unit that the job offer is exempt from a work permit or LMO (if applicable)
evidence of credentials: education, professional and work experience (if applicable)
a temporary resident visa (if applicable)
Foreign workers may be denied a work permit or entry into Canada at the port of entry if the Border Services officer believes that they do not meet the requirements of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act.

You do not need proof of funds. Not sure how the work permit fee should be paid. I'll be arriving in Alberta by car in a couple weeks so I need to figure these things out too.

wideopenspaces

Star Member
Jul 20, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
SenoritaBella said:
More information here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/apply-who-eligible.asp#enter under "eligibility to apply as you enter Canada".

You should fill out all the forms and bring with you. Also determine if you need a medical exam here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/medical/medexams-temp.asp

Application package for work permit: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/work.asp

More information under "some workers can apply at a port of entry": http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/publications/work-temp.asp

Not sure how fee payment at the port of entry works but it shouldn't be a big deal.
Isn't that link only for applying for work permits outside Canada? I was told by someone that I will just need payment of $150 and apply at the border.

SenoritaBella

VIP Member
Jan 2, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Dakar
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-01-2014
AOR Received.
12-02-2014
File Transfer...
25-02-2014
Med's Request
02-11-2015
Med's Done....
18-09-2013
Passport Req..
02-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
hopefully soon
LANDED..........
hopefully soon
At the port of entry is considered "outside" Canada. :) Only current holders of study or work permits can apply for these services inside Canada(i.e. mail application to Vegreville, Alberta or submit online) and they use a form IMM 1249.

The forms can be filled at the port of entry I suppose, but why wait till then if you are able to complete them ahead of time and verify that you've included all supporting documents?

David C H

Apr 24, 2014
Hi,
I am French and currently living in the UK for the last 10 years. I am an Osteopath and got a job offer in Ontario. The practice for which I am supposed to work has started the LMO 5 weeks ago. Once I have the LMO approved, my contract and the medical exam done, can I fly to Canada and get the work permit at the airport?
Do I need to do anything else before flying?
I am a bit confused.
Thanks a lot for your help.
Kind regards.
David

SenoritaBella

VIP Member
Jan 2, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Dakar
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-01-2014
AOR Received.
12-02-2014
File Transfer...
25-02-2014
Med's Request
02-11-2015
Med's Done....
18-09-2013
Passport Req..
02-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
hopefully soon
LANDED..........
hopefully soon
Hello/Bonjour,

I imagine French citizens are visa-exempt (i.e. do not need visas to visit Canada), so yes, you can apply for your permit upon arrival at the airport. Be sure to have all those things you've mentioned, the application forms(fill them out), the application fee(check the CIC website), as well as proof of having met the requirements of the job. e.g. education certificates, training certificates, your resume/CV, etc.

Bonne Journee!

David C H said:
Hi,
I am French and currently living in the UK for the last 10 years. I am an Osteopath and got a job offer in Ontario. The practice for which I am supposed to work has started the LMO 5 weeks ago. Once I have the LMO approved, my contract and the medical exam done, can I fly to Canada and get the work permit at the airport?
Do I need to do anything else before flying?
I am a bit confused.
Thanks a lot for your help.
Kind regards.
David

Jun 22, 2015
Hi there,
I want to get workpermit at port of entry but I am not sure if I can!
I am pakistani citizen right now in canada. I came here as visitor on visitor visa. My visa was almost expired but I sent visitor visa extension application. right now i am on implied status. Waiting for cic decision. Luckily my employer got positive lmia on my name. I want to get work permit at port of entry through flagpole option. Is there any body who tells me about my situation.
i am not sure i can use flag pole option while i am on implied status?
Can i apply work permit at port of entry? While i have implied status
i am pakistani citizen, my country does not belong to visa exempt list.
Thanks

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
pakisanpassport said:
Hi there,
I want to get workpermit at port of entry but I am not sure if I can!
I am pakistani citizen right now in canada. I came here as visitor on visitor visa. My visa was almost expired but I sent visitor visa extension application. right now i am on implied status. Waiting for cic decision. Luckily my employer got positive lmia on my name. I want to get work permit at port of entry through flagpole option. Is there any body who tells me about my situation.
i am not sure i can use flag pole option while i am on implied status?
Can i apply work permit at port of entry? While i have implied status
i am pakistani citizen, my country does not belong to visa exempt list.
Thanks
No - you can't flagpole to obtain a work permit. This would only be possible if you had a multiple entry visa and still had valid status in Canada. You can't flagpole under implied status and with a visitor visa extension in progress.

Aug 14, 2015
Hi,

I am german citizen and want to to my master thesis at McGill University in Montreal. I already got Letter of invitation, McGill acceptance letter, letter of my university and "offer of employment to a foreign national exempt from a LMIA". I just got all these forms, but would like to start in October already. When the online visa application takes 4 month, our HR person at McGill university told me to request the work permit directly at the port of entry in Montreal. Do you know, if this is possible? Or will they directly send me back to germany?

Thanks a lot for your help!!

Lammawitch

Champion Member
Dec 21, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
felinejsronix1 said:
Hi,

I am german citizen and want to to my master thesis at McGill University in Montreal. I already got Letter of invitation, McGill acceptance letter, letter of my university and "offer of employment to a foreign national exempt from a LMIA". I just got all these forms, but would like to start in October already. When the online visa application takes 4 month, our HR person at McGill university told me to request the work permit directly at the port of entry in Montreal. Do you know, if this is possible? Or will they directly send me back to germany?

Thanks a lot for your help!!
German passports are visa exempt, so yes you can do this at the POE.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?q=171&t=17

Have you checked with McGill and/or Immigration Quebec whether you need a CAQ?

http://immigration-quebec.gouv.qc.ca/en/immigrate-settle/students/obtaining-authorizations/index.html

cannn

Jan 18, 2013
Hello everyone!
sorry 'cause I'm posting here,but:
please if anyone knows---my work permit should be approved(I hope)... in Monday I'll get my passport.......
in my application says-expected start employment date----8.Sept. and I send with application itinerer--booked flight for 4.Sept.
Will there be a problem if I change my flight-after 8 Sept. (for example 15 Sept or so) 'cause I must finish some things here?

thanks in advance

amitd_007

Jul 19, 2015
Hi ,

I have valid visit visa for Canada ( Multiple) till march 2016 and I had also applied for online work permit ( with approved LMIA) on 15th June 2015, but still it is in process.

Can I get work permit visa at Calgary airport directly , since I have valid visit visa. ( I am a indian national)

Appreciate your comments

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
amitd_007 said:
Hi ,

I have valid visit visa for Canada ( Multiple) till march 2016 and I had also applied for online work permit ( with approved LMIA) on 15th June 2015, but still it is in process.

Can I get work permit visa at Calgary airport directly , since I have valid visit visa. ( I am a indian national)

Appreciate your comments
No - you cannot apply for a work permit at the port of entry. You must apply from outside of Canada.

Bars

Aug 18, 2015
Hello,

I am British national working for large transnational company in Canada. I have current work permit (LMIA-exempt as intra-company transferee) which expires at the end of September. I have already applied for an extension (I haven't reached the limit of 5 years yet) online, but current processing times mean that its likely that I'll get my extension sometime in November.
I assume that I can get my WP extended at the port of entry immediately after my current one expires, but can I apply for extension at the POE before that? It would be really helpful for several reasons if I could get the extension at the beginning of September, i.e. about 3 weeks before my current WP expiry date. Is this possible?