+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work permit applied from outside Canada

ds170

Jul 18, 2020
Hi,

I applied for my work permit (LMIA exempt) from UK in May 2020. I had also applied for my visitor visa which was approved recently and I moved to Canada now on visitor visa. My work permit is still in process. I was wondering that when my work permit is approved, would there be any reason why I would need to leave and re-enter Canada to activate work permit? I was hoping I would only need to send my passport to get the work permit stamped once approved and that I should be able to start work in Canada, without having to leave? Has anyone been in this position before and would have any advice on this?

Thanks!

lostinquebec

Feb 8, 2019
Hi,

I applied for my work permit (LMIA exempt) from UK in May 2020. I had also applied for my visitor visa which was approved recently and I moved to Canada now on visitor visa. My work permit is still in process. I was wondering that when my work permit is approved, would there be any reason why I would need to leave and re-enter Canada to activate work permit? I was hoping I would only need to send my passport to get the work permit stamped once approved and that I should be able to start work in Canada, without having to leave? Has anyone been in this position before and would have any advice on this?

Thanks!
Sending the passport only applies to PR process, not for temporary permits.

If you followed the instructions to apply for a work permit from outside Canada
If your application is approved outside of Canada, you’ll get an approval letter that says you’re allowed to work in Canada. This letter is called the port of entry (POE) letter of introduction (LOI).

You should bring this letter with you when you travel to Canada and present it at the port of entry.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/work-canada/permit/temporary/after-apply-next-steps.html

Alisa-Fin

Aug 27, 2020
Category........
WP
Hi,

Thanks!
HI, could you please share your timeline (date of submitting application, date of approval) as well as your occupation and whether you sent a letter to request urgent processing of your application? Thanks and congrats on the approval