+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work Permit Applications at NYC for 2013

forsaken11

Star Member
Mar 7, 2013
Anyone here who is based in the US and applied for a TWP online? Can you PLEASE share your timeline?

I am a little concerned with my timeline. I applied in first week of April and I have not received any update yet. Moreover, I am supposed to start working next week.

Thanks a lot.

alpha2007

May 9, 2013
Hi
I am in US and applied for work permit online on March 26th. I did not heard back anything till now. I sent few emails in last few weeks but I received generic response that aplication is currently in queue for processing. Last response I received was yesterday where it was mentioned that they are currently processing Feb 19th applications. So I believe we are atleast one month away based on current timelines. Morever these people are not even reading the emails properyl and whether you send case specific inquiry or generic inquiry , their response is very general without any answer to questions mentioned in the query. I am very disspointed with way consulate is handling the processing.

forsaken11

Star Member
Mar 7, 2013
alpha2007 said:
Hi
I am in US and applied for work permit online on March 26th. I did nto heard anything till now. I sent few emails in last few weeks but no i received generic response that aplication is currently in queue for processing. Last response I received was yesterday where it was mentioned that they are currently processing Feb 19th applications. So I believe we are atleast one month away based on current timelines.
Thanks. But is the Feb 19th date for online or mail applications? According to website, online applications have priority.

alpha2007

May 9, 2013
I applied online as mentioned in my earlier note. I dont think there is any priority to online applications. Atleast I could not make out if online apps are processed on priority

alpha2007

May 9, 2013
Also i dont know if Feb 19th is online or mail applications. these consulate people do not mention anything clearly in their response
Also unfortunately there is no way to track if there is 1 application or 1000 applications ahead of us.

forsaken11

Star Member
Mar 7, 2013
alpha2007 said:
Also i dont know if Feb 19th is online or mail applications. these consulate people do not mention anything clearly in their response
Also unfortunately there is no way to track if there is 1 application or 1000 applications ahead of us.
Thanks. This is all so very frustrating. I wonder if one go to the NY consulate in person and request for urgent processing? I am a student in the US and I only have 10 weeks to work in the summer before my university starts again. If I do not start working in the end of May then I may not work at all. I wish there was more transparency in the process.

missax

Apr 25, 2013
Hi,
I'm pretty sure New york handles the application for online TWP, i emailed them a few times and they confirm the application was there, and also the letter of request for passport came from them.
I was asked to send my passport on May 2nd and they received it May 6th, and since then I haven't heard anything.(I don't even need a visa since i have a valid visitor visa already, i just need the letter or approval and yet it's been 10 days.. it's frustrating)
I don't think online applications have a priority at all, i applied Feb 11th and received an answer may 2nd, that's almost 3 months. I hope this helps.

forsaken11 said:
Thanks. This is all so very frustrating. I wonder if one go to the NY consulate in person and request for urgent processing? I am a student in the US and I only have 10 weeks to work in the summer before my university starts again. If I do not start working in the end of May then I may not work at all. I wish there was more transparency in the process.

missax

Apr 25, 2013
sorry I'm not able to send personal message for some reasons; anyway, mine was through spousal sponsorship so maybe the fact that you have a LMO will be a different situation. I've heard about going to the border as well but I really don't know. I emailed the embassy this morning and I'm planning on going there May 24th if I don't hear anything from them.

forsaken11 said:

ss28

Apr 1, 2013
For all those people who are impatiently waiting for information regarding TWP. I was also one among you till yesterday. Here are some details that might help.

I applied for a TWP from US for myself, an open work permit for my spouse and 2 TRVs for my kids. I submitted the application online on Feb 9th. While submitting the application online, you do not need to sign any of the docs as at the end before submitting you just need to do a digital signature by typing your full name. The entire process is very straight forward and the best part is you do not need to send your passport until they ask for it.
I got the request for sending my family's passport (not mine) on April 26th and on May 2nd i got the intimation for sending my passport.

Even though the application was submitted online, my TWP was processed at the NY consulate (i think all TWP are processed only at NY). I am in CA and i sent all the passports to LA consulate since that is my nearest consulate.
We got the LOI (work permit approval) for my wife on May 7th and got the passport back after 2 days.
I got my LOI on May 15th and I am expecting my passport back by tomorrow.
Even though i submitted all the applications at the same time, my wife's and kid's applications were processed earlier than mine (not sure why).

So the entire process takes close to 3 months or a little more. There is no point in writing to NY consulate unless your application is more than 2 months. I have mailed twice and i got response for both my emails but i mailed them after 75 days. Hope this helps..

Buleg

Mar 4, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CEM
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-07-2013
Nomination.....
30-05-2013 LOA dated 10-05-2013
AOR Received.
16-10-2013 thru email
IELTS Request
Already submitted
File Transfer...
11-09-13
Med's Request
21-11-13
Med's Done....
27-11-13 results submitted//add'l med req 01-13-2014 submitted 1-30-14
Interview........
Ecas "in process 2-18-2014"
Passport Req..
08-04-2014 (Apr. 27, '14 ecas changed to decision made)
LANDED..........
22-03-2014 entered as TFW under YNP/May,22,'14 Landed as Immigrant
ss28 said:
For all those people who are impatiently waiting for information regarding TWP. I was also one among you till yesterday. Here are some details that might help.

I applied for a TWP from US for myself, an open work permit for my spouse and 2 TRVs for my kids. I submitted the application online on Feb 9th. While submitting the application online, you do not need to sign any of the docs as at the end before submitting you just need to do a digital signature by typing your full name. The entire process is very straight forward and the best part is you do not need to send your passport until they ask for it.
I got the request for sending my family's passport (not mine) on April 26th and on May 2nd i got the intimation for sending my passport.

Even though the application was submitted online, my TWP was processed at the NY consulate (i think all TWP are processed only at NY). I am in CA and i sent all the passports to LA consulate since that is my nearest consulate.
We got the LOI (work permit approval) for my wife on May 7th and got the passport back after 2 days.
I got my LOI on May 15th and I am expecting my passport back by tomorrow.
Even though i submitted all the applications at the same time, my wife's and kid's applications were processed earlier than mine (not sure why).

So the entire process takes close to 3 months or a little more. There is no point in writing to NY consulate unless your application is more than 2 months. I have mailed twice and i got response for both my emails but i mailed them after 75 days. Hope this helps..
Hi,

How did you know that you got LOI yesterday? Did you email the embassy? :)

Feb25

Apr 26, 2013
All those who waiting till Feb , did anyone get an update on processing after the Feb19th date earlier available. Do we know if they moved any further ? I do not have any update on mine, and have completed 81 days now.

dr.mcq

Apr 2, 2013
Finally got the aproval!

here is my timeline:
applied by mail feb 1st
application received by feb 4th
medical exam form received april 23rd
medical exam done april 25th
approval got may 15th

until now waiting for my passport. The usps tracking number is still not working. Do you guys know when they usually send the passports back? does it take too much time too???

Sen_1911

Star Member
Mar 14, 2013
My Timeline

Applied TWP Online : Mar 28th, 2013

Response for enquiry rec'd May 16th

Processing has begun on this application and is now in queue for assessment.

All applications are reviewed in the order in which they are received. An exact schedule of completion is not available at this time as our processing time is a minimum of (30) thirty days. Our office is currently finalizing applications received on February 19, 2013

If you require your passport back sooner, and wish to withdraw your application, please send a message to this e-mail address. Please be sure to put the following in the subject line: "Request to withdraw application". In your email, please be sure to include your full name, your date of birth, your sex, your passport number .

Immigration Section
Consulate General of Canada
New York, NY, USA