+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

[Work Permit Application] International student getting married to temporary work permit holder

no-name

Apr 4, 2018
Hello all,

A an student permit holder, should I apply for an OWP?

I am in the first year of PhD studies in Canada and met a foreing post-doctoral fellow who is under a temporary work permit. We are living as a married couple (same address, joint accounts, etc) and will be legally married in a couple of weeks.

I would like to apply for an OWP in case something happens and I need to provide the bulk of the house income, as opposed to now since she's the major provider.

Do you think the officers would deny reasoning that I am already in Canada?

Thank you very much for your attention and replies!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hello all,

A an student permit holder, should I apply for an OWP?

I am in the first year of PhD studies in Canada and met a foreing post-doctoral fellow who is under a temporary work permit. We are living as a married couple (same address, joint accounts, etc) and will be legally married in a couple of weeks.

I would like to apply for an OWP in case something happens and I need to provide the bulk of the house income, as opposed to now since she's the major provider.

Do you think the officers would deny reasoning that I am already in Canada?

Thank you very much for your attention and replies!
Hi

You can't hold both permits. You would have to apply to change your status from student to worker and if approved, drop your studies.

Reactions: no-name

Navjit kaur

Jun 10, 2019
Hye , everyone i am a international student in canada and i apllied for my husbands open work permit after my first semester. It had been 3 months and 20 days now and i did not get any response from the visa office. If you guys know how long it will take now so please let me know.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hye , everyone i am a international student in canada and i apllied for my husbands open work permit after my first semester. It had been 3 months and 20 days now and i did not get any response from the visa office. If you guys know how long it will take now so please let me know.
Spouses of international students are not guaranteed SOWP. Seen some cases take 5 months.

Navjit kaur

Jun 10, 2019
Spouses of international students are not guaranteed SOWP. Seen some cases take 5 months.
Thank you for your reply, but we did not get any mail for medical yet. It's been complete four months now. I am so worried about it. Four months and still same status file is in process. The file is submitted on 20 feb 2019.