+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work Permit Application Inside Canada (Visitor to Worker)

microbio1

Star Member
Sep 22, 2017
Hi,
my sister came in canada as visitor visa and she will apply for work permit and she has LMIA from her employer. What specific IMM form that she need to fillout and does she need to apply for visa extension? She came here as visitor last June 2021 and her six month of stay is until December 2021.

Does she also need to include in her application the reference letter from previous employees?

Please advise. thank you.

Hylo

May 25, 2021
She can get her LMIA work visa at POE (port of entry) - the fastest way. Avoid other applications , is taking so much time - more than 6 months.
Yes, she needs to extend her visitor visa - again time consuming, takes months to be approved. But she can leave Canada for 1-2 days and come back, her visitor visa will be extended automatically 6 months. This will work for her if she is eligible for ETA, not TRV

microbio1

Star Member
Sep 22, 2017
She can get her LMIA work visa at POE (port of entry) - the fastest way. Avoid other applications , is taking so much time - more than 6 months.
Yes, she needs to extend her visitor visa - again time consuming, takes months to be approved. But she can leave Canada for 1-2 days and come back, her visitor visa will be extended automatically 6 months. This will work for her if she is eligible for ETA, not TRV
Thank you for the advise, do you think they will process it even if on covid season?

Hylo

May 25, 2021
Yes, borders are open now for POE work visa...just call at the border, the closest one to your area and ask them if they are processing work visas and what are their business hours for this.. I just called here in Vancouver for my son..he is waiting right now for LMIA and then he will go to the border. Flagpolling now is open.. just check with the border.

microbio1

Star Member
Sep 22, 2017
Yes, borders are open now for POE work visa...just call at the border, the closest one to your area and ask them if they are processing work visas and what are their business hours for this.. I just called here in Vancouver for my son..he is waiting right now for LMIA and then he will go to the border. Flagpolling now is open.. just check with the border.
Hi,

thank you so much for the advise. But we already submitted online the application. We might do flagpolling as well in toronto. Should we cancel the application?

Raman Rakkar

Mar 1, 2016
Hi,

thank you so much for the advise. But we already submitted online the application. We might do flagpolling as well in toronto. Should we cancel the application?
Hiii there my brother has same situation. When did you apply for work permit. My brother applied on 30 aug. But haven’t get any update. He got his visa extension till feb. I am thinking of flagpoling. Please post your time lines.