+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work permit application and covid-19

islamoc

Mar 20, 2020
Hello,
Was wondering if anyone has an idea if the processing of work permits (I applied in-land) are still going on or they stopped because I know a friend who works at CRA who they are out of office until April 5th I’m wondering if it is the same for IRCC and if everything stopped (actually when you call you notice that the call center is closed) and if yes how long is this going to take.
This is not a very good situation for me personally because I’m financially drained and can’t continue without work for longer.
I think at least they should put measures in place for remote work (I know that only managers in IRCC have remote access based on their security standards and managers they don’t do processing which sucks)

if anyone has any information about this please advise

Regards,

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello,
Was wondering if anyone has an idea if the processing of work permits (I applied in-land) are still going on or they stopped because I know a friend who works at CRA who they are out of office until April 5th I’m wondering if it is the same for IRCC and if everything stopped (actually when you call you notice that the call center is closed) and if yes how long is this going to take.
This is not a very good situation for me personally because I’m financially drained and can’t continue without work for longer.
I think at least they should put measures in place for remote work (I know that only managers in IRCC have remote access based on their security standards and managers they don’t do processing which sucks)

Regards,
What is your current status? Are you being sponsored by a spouse or applying in Canada for a closed work permit? Not everything can be done remotely because of privacy reasons. You have to be prepared for delays. How long is unclear.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello,

Regards,
Safe to assume most if not all of their staff are now WFH. They may have put special provisions in place for WFH access - however probably safe to assume processing is going to slow down.

Scotians19

Star Member
Mar 10, 2020
Applied: WP extension on 22 November 2019 paper application but no response at all.

Ihave just been informed by my employer that my had been referred for further review on 20th February 2020 to Ottawa. But no communication by either Immigration office yet.

Does anyone know why did this happen. How long would it take. Did anyone face this situation before?

islamoc

Mar 20, 2020
What is your current status? Are you being sponsored by a spouse or applying in Canada for a closed work permit? Not everything can be done remotely because of privacy reasons. You have to be prepared for delays. How long is unclear.
Thank you for the response
I have applied for an open work permit
Safe to assume most if not all of their staff are now WFH. They may have put special provisions in place for WFH access - however probably safe to assume processing is going to slow down.
i perfectly understand that because I work in information security but I also know it is possible to implement secure measures to WFH because it doesn’t make sense to stop everything for months (because this situation might go for months)

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

i perfectly understand that because I work in information security but I also know it is possible to implement secure measures to WFH because it doesn’t make sense to stop everything for months (because this situation might go for months)
How long ago was your application submitted?

My guess is that that have or are working to make special provisions. I think applications will keep being processed, just at a slower rate than previously.

Reactions: voram and islamoc

islamoc

Mar 20, 2020
How long ago was your application submitted?

My guess is that that have or are working to make special provisions. I think applications will keep being processed, just at a slower rate than previously.
I applied in Mid January let’s hope it is the case thank you

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

How do you qualify for an OWP?

Scotians19

Star Member
Mar 10, 2020
Applied: WP extension on 22 November 2019 paper application but no response at all.

Ihave just been informed by my employer that my had been referred for further review on 20th February 2020 to Ottawa. But no communication by either Immigration office yet.

Does anyone know why did this happen. How long would it take. Did anyone face this situation before?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I applied in Mid January let’s hope it is the case thank you
Before everything hit, processing times for OWPs were sitting at 4-5 months. So if everything stays on track (i.e. no slow down), you'd be looking at May or June.

Reactions: canuck78

islamoc

Mar 20, 2020
Before everything hit, processing times for OWPs were sitting at 4-5 months. So if everything stays on track (i.e. no slow down), you'd be looking at May or June.
No not really it says clearly on the website that processing time is 89 days which is less than 4months most people got a response in 3months 3.5months based on a post I was following here even now it still says 89 days on the processing time (with a note that there would be disruptions
All we can do is wait and see

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
No not really it says clearly on the website that processing time is 89 days which is less than 4months most people got a response in 3months 3.5months based on a post I was following here even now it still says 89 days on the processing time (with a note that there would be disruptions
All we can do is wait and see
Unfortunately that processing time doesn't apply to OWPs submitted with inland spousal sponsorship applications. That processing time is for other classes of work permits applied for from within Canada. We used to see people get their work permits within the 3-4 month range. However since this new year, this has increased to 4-5 months typically. See IRCC info here:

https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1163&top=17