+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work permit and Child SIN for a minor dependent of a Protected Person

theclaimer

Star Member
Jul 29, 2022
Hi! I have my daughter as a dependent and we received the positive NOD. My daughter will be 16 years old this February. I wanted to open a RESP account and the bank asked for my child's Social Insurance number. I talked to IRCC, they said our NOD is our status paper and my daughter would be issued the SIN number. But Service Canada asked for either PR status or a Study permit when it indicates that she can work. In the brown paper, it's written she can study till secondary and does not need a study permit. I am very confused. Should I wait till she becomes 16 years old and apply for a work permit or is there any other procedure that I could not find in canada.ca? Thank you in advance!

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
Hi! I have my daughter as a dependent and we received the positive NOD. My daughter will be 16 years old this February. I wanted to open a RESP account and the bank asked for my child's Social Insurance number. I talked to IRCC, they said our NOD is our status paper and my daughter would be issued the SIN number. But Service Canada asked for either PR status or a Study permit when it indicates that she can work. In the brown paper, it's written she can study till secondary and does not need a study permit. I am very confused. Should I wait till she becomes 16 years old and apply for a work permit or is there any other procedure that I could not find in canada.ca? Thank you in advance!
Best option is to wait until she becomes permanent resident...

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
Thank you for your reply.
But what would I do to get her work permit when she becomes 16 years old? To follow the normal procedure for the first WP?
Your option to apply is once she becomes a Permanent Resident. Your daughter is exempted from Study permit but doesn't make her eligible for Work Permit because of her Age and Status. If she applies for Study permit, her study permit will comes with conditions that may restrict her from working, taking that to Service Canada, they will then refuse SIN application.

Reactions: theclaimer

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Is that possible for me to be and independent working child for my siblings and my mom who is in a critical condition
What is your status? Your age? The age of your siblings? If your mother is in the hospital and there are no parents are at home a social worker should be called. If you are an adult you could get temporary custody of your siblings.