+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work Overseas After Applying Citizenship

Jojo!86

Star Member
Aug 17, 2018
I took a job in USA (Seattle) after giving citizenship test from Vancouver (Canada). My test competed on 10th March and joined my new work since 10th April. I have my family in Vancouver and I visit my residence every weekend.

the issue is my LPP is still pending while I see similar timeline from Vancouver office is getting their LPP step completed.

thanks @Ese2014 and @UKVAN for sharing your experience. I hope my application start moving soon and crossing border frequently after application won’t impact my timeline.

amjad3126

Star Member
May 20, 2014
Dear Sir
I am permanent resident and stay inside the Canada for almost 1100 days. Now i got the job offer from outside Canada and planning to grab that opportunity.
I have the following concerns after completing my Citizenship application formalities?
1- Wether, i would go with Online or Paper based application.
2- Because i am not inside the Canada after filling my application, so i have to add my new address outside Canada or any other possible option.
3-If my stay is outside the Canada after filling the application up till the oath ceremony, can that affect my application processing. Because i have a plan to work for at least 3-5 years at this position, so this me i am outside Canada. In the above threat some one wrote that we have to inform them if we are outside Canada for more than 2 weeks.
4- Some time they ask for Police Clearance Certificate while processing the application, is that possible to provide the Police Clearance Certificate, while filling the Citizenship application.
5- Once my application is matured, is it possible to do the Citizenship test online.

Give me brief answer for each point. Thanks for your help and suggestions in advance.

stnguyenvn

Aug 23, 2020
I did. I informed them when they scheduled the test. I changed my Canadian address to one of a friend. When I had my interview (also on Zoom), the agent said this wasn't a problem, it was only an issue for the oath. He did grill me on what I would do if I was scheduled in, say, 3 days. I said I would fly back, even though that would suck as it would be expensive, as this means a lot to me. He said that's all very well, and he will approve my application and put me for the next available oath ceremony.

Sadly I am with Vancouver, so it's even 4 weeks now and still don't have a date.
Did you change your residency or mailling address to your friend in Canada?

I wonder if I need to change the residency address to outside canada if I leave after applying?

stnguyenvn

Aug 23, 2020
No it doesn't.

I did something similar. Left the country 3 weeks after submitting my application. I left for a professional training for a year, to return to Canada permanently after the training.

I've been scheduled for oath at the end of this month.

Timeline from AOR to Oath is 7 months for me.
Did you change your residency address to outside canada after you left the country?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Did you change your residency or mailling address to your friend in Canada?

I wonder if I need to change the residency address to outside canada if I leave after applying?
Yes you must update your address once you have left the country. You can keep a mailing address in Canada but your residential address must be updated to where you are actually living. Listing an address in Canada when you are not living in Canada would be considered misrepresentation.

stnguyenvn

Aug 23, 2020
Yes you must update your address once you have left the country. You can keep a mailing address in Canada but your residential address must be updated to where you are actually living. Listing an address in Canada when you are not living in Canada would be considered misrepresentation.
what if I only go out for a couple months, then when I’m back I rent another place? Do I only need to update to new place address after renting, and skip the out of country address?